Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Next phase of life travel on the road in a RV thinking camper van. Sprinter or smaller

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Jul 9, 2020.

1. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Heading out in a few minutes on way to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons for 10 days. My RV is at the duck club during duck season. Get back going to park it in the mountains for a a month and go up on weekends. I got a nice traditional travel trailer - 28 feet so have enough room. But most of the time we are outside. If I was going to live in one 36-38 feet.

2. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

100% agree with not buying now just trying to finger it out. I like the renting idea so thanks for that suggestion guys. I would be in the camper 2-3 days then in a hotel for clean up, then back out in the camper. My wife is a neat freak and loves keeping things in tip top shape so that part is covered.

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Rentals can work great. I know a bunch of trap coaches and parents who rent them several times each year.

Lip Shooter likes this.
  4. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Elite Refuge Member

There's a lot of B vans converted out there. Look around. I have dreams of using one, but it doesn't quite fit my needs. Or maybe it does. I can't decide

Lip Shooter likes this.
  5. yfarm

yfarm Refuge Member

74FAED3C-17DF-4F1D-9950-415E21EF3E52.jpeg If you are looking at Van sized RVs, look at a Casita travel trailer. All fiberglass like a boat, basic systems with few things to go wrong. Has shower,toilet,ac and queen sized bed. Can pull with an SUV, 1/2 tpickup. Paid 9k for mine used. Spent 5 weeks one summer traveling in it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  6. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Very nice option thanks for the post and info!

7. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

My buddy bought a Sprinter. Really nice. But he's using it for long weekends. A month in one, with another person, strikes me as totally impossible. I don't care if that person is God's gift to mankind. No freaking way.

letmwurk and Ratdaddy like this.
  8. AzSprig

AzSprig Elite Refuge Member

I was the west coast rep. for Sprinter from 2002-2010 with Dodge and 2010-2015 with MB. Without going into too many details, I can tell you the newer Sprinters from 2017-current are darn near bulletproof. The chassis and engines are wonderful and the upfitters are building a quality product now, prior years were nightmares to deal with. Size wise, it's hard to beat what you get on that platform. One rule of thumb that I always heard from the motorhome owners is always buy bigger than what you think you'll need.

9. fatlab

fatlab Elite Refuge Member

I've been dreaming about a van set up for years, would love it for duck hunting cause you can still tow the boat. Getting the whole family in one comfortably is the trick. But solo its a dream

10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My father in law owns 9 of these fiberglass campers. I like the Trillium ones better. Too bad Casita is the only ones still making them. I’d like a 19’ Casita to try out once.