Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Next phase of life travel on the road in a RV thinking camper van. Sprinter or smaller

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Jul 9, 2020.

1. cprodave

cprodave Senior Refuge Member

Wife and i were considering purchase of an RV but then attended an RV Show where we listened to a couple lecture sessions about RV Maintenance. Having recently and very happily sold my center console boat (which had very little use but still needed ongoing fixing/maintenance last couple years i owned it) we passed on buying an RV. We had also sold our primary residence and moved into our 2nd home--happy to be maintaining only 1 house. So we bought a bare bones RAM Promaster City instead. It gets 27mpg and has tons of room for multiple trips we have taken East Coast to Texas or Arkansas. We carry a couple sleeping bags and foam mattresses for camping or even brief bivoucs at Walmart etc. With minimal work more elaborate sleeping arrangements could be built--see Promaster forums. Around town it is great for hauling stuff protected from weather and theft. This works for us because i have zero interest in maintaining a house on wheels or a 3rd vehicle. BTW our son has a Casita and it too requires fixing . Just not my cup of tea...

Clam likes this.
  2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

If you're up for a little diy..
    FB_IMG_1596219712938.jpg

GUNNERX2 and stevena198301 like this.
  3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

And still single?

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

We have a 14 toy hauler for the ATV. We mostly Boondock,.. And some people make do with some very small quarters. Visiting with mature couples They seem to like the bigger vans . Howevr each had extra toys inside and on top

5. Rilez

Rilez Refuge Member

There's another site called RV Share that allows you to rent before you buy. We actually rent our trailer when we aren't using it. Same thing as outdoorsy, just a competing site. I've had 3 campers (admittedly all travel trailers) and never had a problem with any of them. I'd say that they're like any other toy, a little preventative maintenance goes a long way, but I really don't think there's that much maintenance or fixing personally, but I'm sure that's based on my perspective. Either way, campers are an incredible way to get away from the speed and distractions of everyday life & get some good quality family / friend time. Recharging in the fresh air. I'd definitely recommend going to a few rv shows & or renting before you pull the trigger on one. Best of luck!

6. oleducker

oleducker Senior Refuge Member

I retired early to cruise the country..Bought a 4door pickup with 8foot bed. Then a
    10 foot pop top camper for it. With a 12 foot johnboat on top There was my wife and English setter and i.We carried
    lotsa gear in the truck so we had pleanty of room in the camper. I live in Florida so
    we began our trips in mid march. Fishing, and hunting up into Alaska, then back by
    another route until December. We did that for three years. Never had a problem
    except a few tires. Go forit….You'll be glad you did...oleducker

7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

We have a 26 foot motorhome that we are currently happy with, other than poor gas mileage while towing a big boat, but it is what it is. If we go more touring when I retire, I think we may get into the smaller, yet traditional styled motorhomes, which are a new class call RUV . Check out the THOR selection https://www.thormotorcoach.com/build-price/select-your-brand/ to get an idea. I am looking at both the Vegas RUV and the Gemini AWD as examples of a 23-24 foot motorhome. The trick now is to find one on the used market in good condition and a significant savings.

8. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

Try sleeping in the back of the SUV for a while. A/C would be awesome!