Nez Perce Tribe bighorn sheep not recognized as state record

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by JDK, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

WTH? Did somebody have the thing tied to a tree? I thought sheep were elusive and seldom seen unless you went way up into their habitat. Sounds like the whole county knew about it along with the whole game department. Have i missed something? Exactly how hard is it really to kill a sheep? Don't tell me it just comes down to drawing a tag.....

2. Vahunter

He has been hunting since the 70s. He's killed 10. Thats only 1 every 4 years. This one was the last day of a three day hunt. Those seem like long odds.
    Yet the Idaho game dept was potentially going to auction off the privledge to blast this thing to the highest bidder......
    WTHs going on? I know I'm a dumb easterner, but which is it?

3. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Your average guy kills a bighorn once in a lifetime. If he is lucky. I’ve been applying in multiple states since the 80’s and never drew a tag.
    Long odds. Funny.
    Highest bidder pays for much enhancement, water guzzlers, research, immunizations, etc.
    what that dude do for them? Except kill 10 out the truck. And he wants to be recognized??
    A special ram.
    If a treaty from the 1800’s allows him to shoot a ram at his pleasure, the same treaty should of made mention of getting placed in the record book

4. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

I have seen a good number of sheep hunting out west. I haven't drawn a tag. Probably won't ever be able to. Don't think I have ever seen a B&C caliber ram.

Like it or not the auction tags raise a lot of money for conservation. Many of these go for big money.

I think the guy has a right to do what he did. I don't think I agree with it, but as far as I know it was legal, and it's his privilege.

I completely understand the state not recognizing it for their records as it wasn't harvested through their perameters.

Don't know Idaho tags but some of these organizations sell the tags for 275k or even 300k +.

JP likes this.
  5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

^^^ $300K for a tag....definitely the King's sheep.

6. Vahunter

Well, a deal's a deal. If you want to be mad with the negotiators of the treaty, be mad with them.
    The guy did nothing wrong. He has the right by birth to do what he did.
    The Idaho game people just seem mad they couldn't pimp the ram out for a pile of money. That is the unseemly thing here. The article clearly states it was a three day hunt and the ram was killed on the third day. Doesn't sound too easy to me....

7. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

It ain’t about killing the ram. Pay attention. It’s about getting his name in a state record book, where he plays by different rules than every other person in that book.
    Having a little back story, it was killed from the truck. It wasn’t hard. He took 3 days to find the giant. Not just a ram. If meat and skins were the purpose of his hunt, why kill the oldest in the herd? He is just another guy with inches syndrome. Bigger the better.

Now here is the question. When that treaty was signed, do you think it mentioned shooting them with high powered rifles out the truck, then able to get recognition in the state record book??

Keep killing all the rams he wants, but don’t think he deserves a “trophy” for doing it differently than the intended purpose of said recognition of “trophy”.

8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Would it still be a “trophy” for the white guy that paid $300K for the tag to shoot it out of his G/O’s truck?

When the treaty was signed all weapons of the day were probably legal and state record books were decades away from existence.

9. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator

He killed it legally, so I don't have a problem with it. Is it a level playing field? No, but he still did it legally.

What I'm not sure about is why the need for the paleface comments? Am I offended? No. But I do like to argue - debate, if you don't like the word argue.

[​IMG]

Native American? Nah... no one spontaneously came into being here on the North American continent. Everyone immigrated from somewhere, even the "first" people to come here were "immigrants". If being here first makes you "Native American" then there are a LOT of Native Americans, even today. There is ground never touched by humans still left, where no man has ever stepped - so if I get there first, by the logic of those who say the Indians are "Native", I am now a "Native" by virtue of touching that ground first. Go me! This would be true from the time they arrived, until every piece of untouched ground has been touched by a human being. After all... if being some place "first" designates ownership then fair is fair... right?

I wonder if that would hold up in court so I could go shoot a booner from my truck? Big Horn Sheep is bar none, the best game meat I have ever had.

10. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Native American applies to the people that were already here when the European invaders arrived to take the land by force.