No Ducks from Canada

gotduks

Reaction score
Have you seen this? If its not one thing its another. Guess Nodak will be busy again this Fall!

BREAKING NEWS: US hunters cannot bring home game birds harvested while hunting in Canada due to restrictions by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) aimed at preventing the spread of a highly pathogenic strain of avian influenza.
The prohibition applies to both unmounted trophy imports and raw meat from game birds.
Read more here: https://safariclub.org/hunter-harvested-game-birds.../

Neighbor Guy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
5E2F09C0-E6E4-4E53-953B-1C96932C6468.jpeg

In a lot of cases the birds we eat are in Canada just a few seconds before they land in our spread.

These kinds of restrictions are meaningless.

DaPutts

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Is this really going to stick? ***… Trying to work the website link on that article is a pain.

soiltester

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Have you seen this? If its not one thing its another. Guess Nodak will be busy again this Fall!

BREAKING NEWS: US hunters cannot bring home game birds harvested while hunting in Canada due to restrictions by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) aimed at preventing the spread of a highly pathogenic strain of avian influenza.
The prohibition applies to both unmounted trophy imports and raw meat from game birds.

Now ya' know how I felt, when I hunted Obregon, Mexico when the bird flu was at it's peak, back when it was 1st goin' on :doh
It would've cost more to "detox" the Cinamon Teal, once it was back in the U.S., than it would have been to mount it :eek:

I jist' shot a bunch fer' the locals ;)

bigdog MN

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Seems it only applies to birds harvested or traveled through certain zones:
Effective on the dates listed above (in bold) and until further notice, and as previously announced
(non-bold), the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
(APHIS) Veterinary Services (VS) is restricting the importation of poultry, commercial birds,
ratites, avian hatching eggs, unprocessed avian products and byproducts, and certain fresh
poultry products originating from or transiting 20 zones in Ontario, 20 zones in Alberta, 5 zones in Quebec, 12 zones in British
Columbia, 9 zones in Saskatchewan and 1 zone in Manitoba . Any of these commodities
originating from or transiting a restricted zone are prohibited, based on the diagnosis of highly
pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) in domestic birds

USDA APHIS Imports of animal products Scroll down to Temporary Restrictions
Zones
Zones map

DaPutts

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I seen that. I’m interested in how they are going to know that?
I called the border and asked a agent, they had no idea what I was talking about. Only poultry is what he knew of at this time.

ARHHH4

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

Good thing all those Canadian birds end up in Kansas later in the year :tu. No need to drive all the way to Canada

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
How high will the fence have to be to keep those birds from making it here on their own?

Latest posts