No Ducks from Canada

pbd

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
How high will the fence have to be to keep those birds from making it here on their own?
Logic doesn’t resonate with these folks. If the Canadian border is anything like the southern border, you can expect very inconsistent application of the regulations; overlapping regs from different agencies virtually making it impossible to bring birds back to the US and lots of time in secondary if you’re driving. Air travel might be different if you break customs at an airport that isn’t familiar with the ban.

If you want a bird mounted you’ll have to have it picked up by a licensed taxidermist.

no harm-no fowl

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
We'll just do like we always do. Take birds to the border, if they confiscate them, then I don’t have to worry about them any more. Win win.

Don Smith

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
This has to be one of the dumbest rules I've ever read. Do you sometimes "release" the birds you've taken or their meat into a flock of wild birds or domestic poultry or do you keep them in the freezer until you consume them? How are they going to infect birds stateside?

OneShotBandit

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They just don't want you guys up there killing all THEIR ducks & spreading C-19 or something! :l ie.: The ugly Americans! :clap ;)

hobbydog

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The way I read this, it is a Canadian law or restriction on movement from certain areas. Coming back to the US you go through US customs. I don’t think they really care about Canada restrictions. Now if the US puts up restrictions on dead waterfowl entering the country from Canada, that would be a different story.

Eyehunter83

Refuge Member
Reaction score
It references “unprocessed” birds or meat several times in the article…aren’t fully cleaned, frozen birds considered “processed”?

pbd

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
It references “unprocessed” birds or meat several times in the article…aren’t fully cleaned, frozen birds considered “processed”?
Freezing doesn’t kill off the virus only cooking

dankoustas

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
OK here is another article and what I am gathering is that if your birds come from a restricted zone in Canada then these rules apply. If your birds didn't come from a restricted zone, then no issue. Please let me know if you are reading something different. There is also a link in the article that shows a map with the different zones
Dan

TooTall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
OK here is another article and what I am gathering is that if your birds come from a restricted zone in Canada then these rules apply. If your birds didn't come from a restricted zone, then no issue. Please let me know if you are reading something different. There is also a link in the article that shows a map with the different zones
Dan

Looked a the map on the link and it shows only small township sized areas that are restricted - well below 1% of the landscape. How will they be able to confirm where the birds actually came from or where you traveled to get to the border. Maybe you took some detours on the way back to the border to avoid driving through these restricted zones as well... Seems to me like most any waterfowl hunter that wanted to bring back their birds wouldn't have much problem doing so. Unless, like Dan mentioned, I'm reading this totally wrong.

I'm guessing the restricted zones are areas surrounding domestic fowl operations?

Similar to most all COVID protocols, this looks like a "hey, we tried" action to appease those that would protest their concerns in front of news cameras in Ottowa.

Latest posts