No fall flight forecast this year?

blacktail

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
There are photoperiod birds for lots of species, mallards included. Regardless of the trigger or the timing, the ultimate reason they migrate is latitude and climate.

Hunting a migration is what makes waterfowling what it is. A humbling season can turn into lights-out hunting literally overnight. It adds an unrivalled element to the game of chess we call hunting.
Thousands of mallards that are born, bred, and die in the same county doesn't sound exciting to me. To each their own.
Cool story.

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Bro, you know I can't break the laws. :cool:

A cop who breaks the laws and low brags about it online. How original, oh maybe you’ll get your first completely legal ethically killed duck this year. Most on here doubt it though……

Yes I know you are retired from Barney squad (I think a moderator doesn’t like the term that rhymes with “was”)

Wikipedia has a thesaurus for slang terms for the police. For the next year the forum will be regaled in humorous manner with the complete list so long as the words are not boorish. Don’t want to degrade my language to circular cake with a hole shop levels.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You obviously are extremely educated and have the the pulse on everything duck. Everything.
I'm envious about the knowledge and conversations you have regarding fowl.
You are definitely in the "circle".
I truly appreciate all your posts.

LOL, PM me what was edited. H2O is just a miserable poster with an expertise in killing BBWD in Florida. You post great stuff even when being snarky, and I expect I would LMAO.

Look, I spend a lot of time in boats, but I just do it for fun. You’ve spent a career in boats doing some really serious stuff. I’d say I know more about running a boat than the average person, but it’s nothing like a guy like you who deals with boats and water every day. Not a matter of being smart. Just a matter of time spent on something.

There used to be DU people, Delta people, outdoor writers, folks from the big outdoor companies and others you’d call “insiders” who were regular posters here. They’re pretty well all gone, and I realize some members prefer it that way, but it’s a net loss. I’d be better off to log out and never come back, but I enjoy the banter and have made too many good friends here (not online friends) to do it.

Last edited:

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
LOL, good to know you don’t act like this in person. Pics of you hunting with your kids and other folks didn’t fit your online persona.

I’m here for entertainment. Sometimes at your expense. Nobody can take themselves too seriously, for long.

Both my kids (8 and 9) respond to me “yes we know what sarcasm is”

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’m here for entertainment. Sometimes at your expense. Nobody can take themselves too seriously, for long.

Absolutely right about that. Believing your own BS isn’t a good thing. Trick is knowing the difference between fact and BS.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

Both my kids (8 and 9) respond to me “yes we know what sarcasm is”

My youngest is 22. His mom has a lot of trouble with his dry wit and sarcastic nature. Figuring that out helped me understand one of the reasons she and I sometimes get sideways over ridiculous things.

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Absolutely right about that. Believing your own BS isn’t a good thing. Trick is knowing the difference between fact and BS.

My facts are my photos, everything else is BS on a sliding scale between pure sarcasm and pure whatever the opposite of that is….I only have a thesaurus for popo terms.

Mean Gene

Reaction score
Maybe this latest generation of duck hunters just suck at it. We see PLENTY of ducks....and we saw plenty of ducks during the period when we could only hunt 30 days. In fact, it was some of the best hunting of my life. I don't doubt the numbers. But I know that duck habits change, and some places that used to kill ducks don't anymore. The same with geese. The sky IS full of birds in the Fall. Living on the Bluffs of the Mississippi for the last 30 years proves it to me.

The killing season is upon us. Whining season doesn't begin until Feb. :yes
Internet whining season: Jan 1st - Dec 31st.

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My facts are my photos, everything else is BS on a sliding scale between pure sarcasm and pure whatever the opposite of that is….I only have a thesaurus for popo terms.

Dude....I've been around Nurses most of my adult life. Your brand of humor is nothing new.

Latest posts