No power on my 4500 bd

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by threeforthree, Oct 8, 2018.

1. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

could be several things:
    tiny tac is reading wrong, setup in incorrect,
    an engine can still get up to speed with compression issues, say cyl #1 is has worn rings to a point it can build say 60-80psi while cylinder #2 is at 135-150 clear to 220 depending on mods.
    main jet, pilot jet causing rich condition
    fouled plugs due to last reason, running to rich
    worn lobe on the cam, not causing a valve to open or close fully
    cam timing off causing compression to be off
    diodes on the plug wires causing cyl #2 to put out weak spark
    coil wire or coil issue
    loose rocker arm, or valve lash

The test to isolate a dead cylinder tells you a lot more than just no spark. #1 should always run stronger than #2.
    dead cylinder will never get up to speed period.

2. Billcollector

Billcollector Senior Refuge Member

I know each an every one of these issues intimately. If any one of those things are an issue on one of these engines, they WILL NOT make enough horsepower/torque to reach 4400 RPM's while under normal load.

My point is, You stated Mud Buddy was dead wrong by telling him there might be a hull issue. If the OP's description is accurate, You are dead wrong about there being a possible engine health issue.

3. ksgoosekillr

tell me something has this exact same thing ever happened to you? and you fixed the issue? ....

didnt think so, now go read the thread i started ON THIS VERY TOPIC WITH AN ENGINE I WAS WRENCHING ON over on M M T...

if i didnt know better id guess you were a MB rep cause you sound just like their customer service, blame everything but their motor

EDIT after a little searching on here i see you DO INDEED WORK for BPS and are affiliated with Mudbuddy hahahaha, this explains everything... MB PR on high alert on the forums i see. Also explain why you dont want to check out M M T, no love loss for MB over there.

So i have to ask now that i know you are affiliated. How can you possibly think a hull issue could slow a rig down to 10 mph assuming its spinning 4500 rpms and no motor issue? Esp on that 4400 knowing the load carry capabilities of that motor well since ive owned two personally. seeing how is prop is new, even if it was water logged and added several hundred pounds its no different than a normal hunting load.

OP what is your hull and what kinda load did you have when you tested last?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  4. Billcollector

5. ksgoosekillr

= "i think something is wrong with your hull" :l:l

6. ksgoosekillr

Since im just now seeing the rest of your reply ill add to my reply to your first bold statement:

I never once suggested anything AT ALL to do with the hull. I said the motor setup on the hull. The hull is one of the last things id look at when diagnosing an issue. Even then its only to optimize top end speed.

so you are saying a rich mixture coming from a ton of different reasons, or a weak spark in one cylinder isnt capable of hitting 4400 rpms under load? might wanna put that phone down once in a while and pick up a wrench.

about the only thing i agree with you here is the power transmission portion.

7. Billcollector

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  8. threeforthree

threeforthree Senior Refuge Member

The boat is a excell 1854 F4.. when I gps unit at 10 mph it was me at 270. Dog at 55,.boy at 65 lbs 3 gal fuel, and eight
    Ducks ...and one doz decoys

9. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

I cant see losing 15mph/60% of speed to a hull defect unless that boat has been beaten to death. I'd be looking at the motor.

10. ksgoosekillr

exactly... but mr mudbuddy up here is quoting "science" so we better not argue... :rolleyes: