No RM calls in Waterfowl Magazine

Dr Duk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Why no RM calls in giant gear edition?
Best call on the market
Do they charge to get your stuff listed??

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Why no RM calls in giant gear edition?
Best call on the market
Do they charge to get your stuff listed??
Most only print what they are sent. No idea if that’s the case here, but writers aren’t paid enough anymore to chase products down.

stumpjumper0531

Elite Refuge Member
Sponsor
Reaction score
Cause I'm not cool enough.
Let's just say...some pay for those endorsements.

I shall never play the marketing game crap. I earn a drop on a lanyard one call at a time because that is how I believe it should be done. Sound is and always will be my first priority. Call me what you will, say what you will but I'm not changing my approach. I do not want people buying calls based on cool engraving, fancy words, carving, inlays or limited editions.
#earnit #smallshop #bigspound #nofancymarketing #nophotoshop

Stump

Last edited:

Dr Duk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Cause I'm not cool enough.
Let's just say...some pay for those endorsements.

I shall never play the marketing game crap. I earn a drop on a lanyard one call at a time because that is how I believe it should be done. Sound is and always will be my first priority. Call me what you will, say what you will but I'm not changing my approach. I do not want people buying calls based on cool engraving, fancy words, carving, inlays or limited editions.
#earnit #smallshop #bigspound #nofancymarketing #nophotoshop

Stump
Great answer!

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Great answer!

In other words, he didn’t send them a press release.

Stump, I’d be more than happy to write a press release for you (no charge) and get it and a photo to the mags next year in time for the gear issues. They’ll publish it.

choc24/7

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
its the same call brands every year. shoot usually the calls are two-three years old. they had a few that were listed over the years that if you went to their site they weren't even using their own calls in soundfiles...

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
its the same call brands every year. shoot usually the calls are two-three years old. they had a few that were listed over the years that if you went to their site they weren't even using their own calls in soundfiles...
Says the manufacturer didn’t send out a new press release, so the publication went with what was on hand. Typically, the magazine assigns the column and gives the writer whatever materials they have on hand, and they often provide a list of contacts based on advertisers and prospects. Being on that list usually means you’ll get an email or phone call asking for a photo or press release, but space isn’t limited to those companies. Magazines love to give some space in a product guide to companies which haven’t advertised in the past because they become future ad prospects and it’s an appropriate service to the readers.

For companies new to the process, it has never been easier to get this type of publicity. You write a paragraph or two and/or bullet points about the product, take a pic (white background is a good practice) and send it via email to the magazine/writer saying it’s a new product for the appropriate section and you’d appreciate their help in getting it in front of the public.

There’s nothing magic about getting press. I could have written a release, taken a pic and sent it to every editor with a waterfowl magazine in the time it has taken to write this post.

choc24/7

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
i see the list has 1 of the questioned "callmakers". they were busted on FB using a staffer from another company blowing his call in "their" soundfile. was for a spec call i believe...

Peter Goodman

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Any paper media always has space to fill. Maybe not THiS issue but that just means they hold it for next. Authors are late with articles and the publisher suddenly pulls out items sent to him.

When I was in high school got irritated when the football team won a county championship while a less popular team in another sport was ranked in top 10 in nation but got no press. So walked into newspaper office (I did sports photography) and threw out idea of writing a weekly column with photos. Did that for two years and played it into a job that helped pay for college with United Press. All because I provided press to people desperate to fill space. Who knew?