Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

No spill gas containers - Beware of pressure with no relief valve

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by fowlwhacker, Jul 6, 2021.

1. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

so had have a bunch of plastic gas containers. got rid of all my old metal containers years ago and had several old craftsman plastic ones in various sizes. like to keep several 5 gallon containers on hand for boat and if we lose power so several years ago I went to purchase a couple more 5 gallon containers. picked up 2 of the best I could find being the new no spill types that you have to push a button to get the gas to come out and the nospill brand being the easiest to use as some of the no spill systems are a royal pain in the azz to use.

the old craftsman plastic containers all had a pressure relief value you could pull up to release any pressure from fumes. always tried to keep the gas containers out of the sun as much as possible but some times it is not possible.

I decided to do some pressure washing yesterday on the house. wasn't sure how far I would get but kept going. at some point I topped off the tank while I took a break and left the can just inside the garage. didn't think much of it but knew that time of the day the sun was facing the front of the house late in the afternoon and the heat and sun were hitting me pretty good especially when I was standing on the front porch roof radiating off the shingles.

well when I got done the front of house and decided to move to the side of the garage I decided to top off the pressure washer fuel again. no problem, I took the lid off the tank, grabbed the no spill fuel container, put plastic nozzle inside of tank and pressed the button. well as my luck would have it, the tank heated up causing enough pressure to shoot the gas out like a pressurized power washer and blasted out at enough force to not only send gas flying into the tank which was probably 2/3 full but back up and all over me standing over top covering my chest, neck, face and head. fortunately the wife was outside when it happened and was able to grab me and pull me in through the garage to the kitchen sink where I could rinse off as I didn't want to open my eyes much. by the time I made it into the garage I could feel burning from the gas on my neck and face.

Learned my lesson the hard way with these no spill no vented cans. will always keep them flat and push the button first before trying to dispense gas.

http://nospill.com/Expanding-Contracting-Gas-Cans.html

widgeon likes this.
  2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

And they probably spent millions in research and development of these new Federal mandated, new and improved Molotov Gas containers and didnt have the sense to test them in the heat of a summers day. Or didnt care.
    Heres a fix. On an empty can, select a drill bit thats the thickness double that of a pin and drill a hole in the top back of the container. Let that beach vent.

dog duck gun and salthunter like this.
  3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Small price to pay to save the world from climate change right?

salthunter, num70 and riverrat47 like this.
  4. bayport

bayport Senior Refuge Member

5. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Only the goverment could find ways to screw up perfectly good gas cans.

6. Paul Myrdahl

Paul Myrdahl Senior Refuge Member

Went out to my mud boat this spring to pull the cover off it to repair a small tear in it. the gas tank was bulged out so bad it almost looked like it was ready to explode. Problem is I left the line attached to the motor. Apperently the pressure from the tank filled the crank case with fuel.

dog duck gun, ibfowl and oleww like this.
  7. AU Buckshot

AU Buckshot Refuge Member

Removed the nozzles from all mine and pour straight out from can.
    Drilled hole in each can for vent.
    Often cuss when pouring gas….

riverrat47 likes this.
  8. Fasteel72

Fasteel72 Elite Refuge Member

This is what I tote. 678CA20B-B012-43AA-8370-E711E69DB3A3.png 678CA20B-B012-43AA-8370-E711E69DB3A3.png

jamescd1, ibfowl, Vammy and 1 other person like this.
  9. DuCrazy

DuCrazy Elite Refuge Member

All my gas cans have old fashioned flex nozzles and flip cap vents. Just drill a 3/8” hole and snap the vent cap in place.
    Find them online or at tractor supply type stores. upload_2021-7-6_15-26-30.png

10. Socks

Socks Senior Refuge Member

I bought some retrofit vents like another poster showed. Of course the drill bit needed is a esoteric size that I don't own.

Glad you're ok!