No water

waterswatter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
This.

We have sub-division after sub-division going in. Everywhere.

A new rule here (at least in my county, not sure about the state yet) is that farmers who sell ground to be developed have to use some of their surface water rights to run a pump for lawn irrigation. Every lot they develop must be hooked to this pump, and those lots are to water their lawns from that system and not their personal well.

After the pandemic hit and people started to jump ship from where they lived before, they began to flood into areas like ours. Developments are everywhere. I can't think but that the impact on water is huge. That coupled with every "dry farmer" installing huge pivots over the last 30 years certainly makes a difference on the aquafer.

Kinda makes you wonder about huge civilizations from the past that just disappeared - was changes in water the issue? Could be.

I'm not worried and the sky isn't falling, but it certainly is interesting to watch. We'll survive. We always do.
One issue is the accumulation of harmful salts from irrigation.

waterswatter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine the costs involved to breach and then replace those four Lower Snake River dams.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link to that? If it is, perhaps it's due to the covid 19 shutdown?

It was stated in the podcast. The link is in an earlier post. That podcast and a couple of articles are the extent of my knowledge, so I’m asking.

dwr353

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I find this thread interesting. The idea of water allocations is so foreign to someone from Louisiana. Water we got, ducks are what we have a shortage of. Best of luck to those affected.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Florida is one of the wettest states in the country, but they have a water problem, and it’s on the way to getting a hella lot worse.

Idahotim

Reaction score
I can't imagine the costs involved to breach and then replace those four Lower Snake River dams.
They aren't talking about replacing them, only breaching them. Actually the Dam will be left in place and they will dig around one side of it as they are earthen dams with locks to allow traffic and power generation.