Non hunting visit

Clark

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Booked the Rocky Mountaineer train trip in 2019. Covid delayed us in 20/21, finally making the trip now. Started in Vancouver, took the ferry over to Victoria on a tour. Took the train to Kamloops, nice ride! We saw eagles, bighorn, bear, elk, deer, marmot - all critters I don’t have at home.
Second leg took the train from Kamloops to Jasper. Fun little town, 4k people, amazing views, nice people, neat food.
Took the bus from Jasper to the Columbia icefield, the Athabaskan glacier ride and the glacier skywalk then on to Lake Louise. Saw a half dozen black bears between Jasper and Banff, big buck in velvet, more elk and bighorn. Can you hunt bear in Jasper NP??

Clark

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Caught sunrise reflecting off the mountain behind Lake Louise. Trails were closed because a momma grizzly with 2 cubs came in the hotel yard. They radio tracked her moving off and reopened trails so we walked to the end of Lake Louise. Rode the coach to Banff and saw 8 more bears including a momma with 2 cubs.

Clark

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Town of Banff today, wife got her shopping fix in the zillion tourist traps. Food was meh at best. Little disappointed after all the superlatives I’ve heard over the years. Headed on an evening wildlife tour tonite, hope things will pick up.

Clark

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Momma and 3 cubs, elk and whitetail on the tour. Bears were just outside Two Jac campground. Headed to the Banff gondola, we will see if the acrophobia cooperates.

WuChang

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
:tu:tu:tu

GUNNERX2

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The Columbia icefield is a neat place. The fir trees to the left as your ascending are over 700 years old and barely 6' tall. At the top is the tri-continental divide, water runs to the Atlantic, Pacific and Artic oceans.
We saw some truly huge elk in town right along side people working in their yard in Banff. Just about all the flower gardens had metal and wire cages around them to keep the elk from eating all the flowers.
I'd love to make that trip again someday.

Clark

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Survived the Banff Gondola! There were elk everywhere in Banff. We saw several groups just riding around town. Never saw a grizzly. Saw a train on all three levels of the spiral tunnels!
You can see the Olympic ski jump tower on the way into Calgary. Did the Calgary Tower, another test for my acrophobia! Headed back to NC on the morning flight. Beautiful country up here, Snowcapped mountains everywhere you look

Latest posts