non-resident hunting bills

KEN

Reaction score

ripline

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Should be an interesting year. I hope there is some final decision by April 1 so us of the NR race can make a decision on where to go and how to get there before the opportunity to go is over.

Ron Fry

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ken,
Just curious, will North Dakota put these to public referendum or are they voted on by the general assembly?

NDJ

Reaction score
sounds like 2048 is the hunter pressure concept bill and 49 is the "Every" bill.

I'm for 2048 and against 2049

KEN

Reaction score
NDJ....yes 2048 is the HPC from the GNF and 2049 is from the guides and outfitters.Both came out of the interim committee.2048 came out 14-2 in favor of and 2049 was something like 8-7. 2049 was proposed by the new chairman of the house Natural Resources committee Jon Nelson.
They will probably be torn apart with some changes so only one comes out to the Senate to vote on.There will probably be some more in the house.It will be interesting to see what is finally brought out for the Gov. to sign.
Ripline...I believe the legislature has to be finished by April 1 but then the GNF has to make up the new rules and that will probably take another month.Look for everything to be ready by July 1. That's when new laws go into effect unless they get referred.

Fetch

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If 2048 passes as it was basically presented - that will be GOOD !!!

If 2049 Passes you will see another up rising of Resident Hunters & then a Referal Vote is likely.

We need both Residents & Non-Residents to see that 2048 is based on science & good management from our G&FD the other is based on Greed & $$$ ............Remember over 95% of people who hunt ND are Freelance Hunters - That do not pay to hunt. If You support & 2049 passes & you think it's best for you. (think again) Then ND will turn into another Pay to Hunt State (at least the better areas) If it is stopped now - ND will move towards better programs, to keep Freelance Hunting alive & well in ND.

Find out more Here: http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/

& here : http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/issues.html

NDTerminator

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
2048 is the best option on the table, provided it doesn't get dissected & amended until it no longer is recognizable as the original bill. I think we can count on some some serious disinformation & opposition from the guides & Chamber Of Commerce dweebs, who refuse to recognize it isn't 1975 anymore. My Mom would say these are the kind of folks who would cut off their nose to spite their face. On a related note, we have had draconian limits on the number of NR deer firearms licenses issued for quite a good number of years, and I never hear (or heard) one peep out of these folks about that. Just an observation...

Full Force Five

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
On the surface the HPC is a good idea but for the non-resident it makes planning a hunt more difficult. When would they release the regulations? Let say it's a dry year and the availability for licenses is less. Scrambling to make second plans is more difficult in say August or September. Or maybe it's a dry winter/early spring but late spring rains come would it then be a more moderate situation. Will it be based on flyway wide recommendations or only on G&FD recommendations? More grey area only creates more confusion and division. I’ll be the first to admit I’ve only glanced over the framework of the HPC. One thing that stuck out was how many more ducks NR’s killed over residents. From my limited contact with resident hunters is they don’t really try that hard. Pass shooting and jump shooting seem to be the main approaches. Where nr’s scout, work, decoy etc. Guys that post on these boards probably are more hard core than that.

What’s wrong with a solid cap of say 24,000 and more zones especially in northern ND and some of the larger ‘fuges? Also it seems like the guiding issue has not been addressed at all.

If the cap remains 30,000 and with what happened this year dry conditions and early freeze. I would think there will naturally be less pressure in ND.

These are general observations based on a Caribou Coffee induced haze. :D

prairie hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Regarding NR deer hunting licenses.

While overall deer hunting success is excellent in ND. Deer hunting is pretty much good all over the US right now. Not many need to travel to ND to hunt deer.

I would guess that most NRs entering the deer gun permit lottery grew up in ND and are simply trying to go home and hunt deer.

If a NR owns 160 acres or more in ND. They too can receive a gratis hunting permit. They bypass the lottery and also any resident applying for that zone via the lottery.

Only 1% of any zone licenses can go to a NR. The NR gratis permits can take their share first. Next, guides and outfitters can take up to one-half of the 1%. I would guess in many zones, a freelance NR have little chance of getting drawn for any remaining permits that can be allocated to a NR.

Part of the problem in ND is the waterfowl season opens and ends before most other states even get going (expception is MN and WI). Thus if a group of southern guys come to ND to hunt ducks it does not subtract from their hunting days in their home areas.

prairie hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Nonresident hunters are "more successful" in ND than the average ND resident for a couple of reasons.

1) the NRs coming to hunt ducks in ND are spending money and vacation to hunt ducks. Most are either hardcore duck hunters or hunters with experience. They are out there for 5 to 10 days straight. Scouting and patterning flight patterns is key to success.

The average MN resident that likes to hunt ducks a couple of days a year is not going to take vacation or spend money to hunt ducks in ND. I would also guess that if you compared MN residents that hunt ducks in both states (or Canada) to those that just stay in MN - that the traveling hunter is also more successful when at home. More experience, better equipment, or simply more dedicated to chasing waterfowl.

2) the "average" ND resident really does not exist. Many ND waterfowl hunters are very successful hunting ducks and geese. They spend many more days afield than the average number (5?). These successfull ND hunters are as good or better than any NR. They own good equipment, know how to hunt well, and are very successfull.

But:

You also have to add in the people who may hunt waterfowl one or two days a year. They get counted in the survey too. These people may jump shoot a mallard or two while pheasant hunting -they get counted too. Many own no decoys. A farmer pass shoots a few geese each fall off the refuge down the road - counted in the survey.

I was born and raised NDn. From the age of about 17 to 25, I hunted waterfowl at least double the average days reported by the ND G&F and probably shot 5 to 10x the number of birds the average resident hunter bagged in a season. I was dedicated to chasing ducks & geese in ND and good at it. I am sure I was not alone.

I am curious to the breakdown of ND waterfowl hunters. Does the old 80 : 20 rule often discussed in fishing hold true to waterfowl hunting. Do 20% of ND resident waterfowl hunters harvest 80% of the birds shot by residents.

Is it the 20% highly successful hunters from other states that travel to ND each fall too ?