North Zone Split - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania Flyway Forum' started by DirtyMerg, Nov 1, 2019.

1. DirtyMerg

DirtyMerg Refuge Member

Curious everyone's thoughts of the NZ split dates change this year. Only two weeks to start the season and than closed, but having ducks open from Nov 19 on.

Personally i love it - we have a place in Tioga and honestly first two weeks of November arent typically great but I've always wanted to go out in the morning when rifle is in and now I'll finally be able to !

2. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

Trouble with duck season during rifle season is your wearing camo. Too many brown and down people out there. On the lake I hunt I’m usually the only one duck hunting during rifle season but I’m limited to where I hunt since I wear brown camo. Most of the better spots are off limits due to safety concerns. Even went as far to hunt some out of the way spots and have had deer hunters scope me. So now Im hunting a spot where there is only one way in and out. I place a large sign on the trail warning that there is a duck hunter ahead. I also wear orange on the way in and,out.

3. goose

goose Moderator Moderator

Absolutely love it. It used to be years ago 2 or 3 week first sit then mid November second split. I Hunt mostly waterfowl and hate hunting mountain maggots...I have never had a problem. I do wear an orange hat and vest walking in and out if I am not traveling to the spot by boat just to be cautious. Deer hunters are less likely to appreciate having the duck season in at the correct time. Imho one week first split more than enough time more time at the end of the season. Less birds using old Eastern flyway routes for sure. Tons of reasons from bird numbers, weather seems to have switched by a month typically the past 10 years , and clubs being allowed to plant to flood which is basically baiting holding birds from traditional routes.

Drake91 and DirtyMerg like this.
  4. Conewago duck'n

Conewago duck'n Senior Refuge Member

Always duck season in the South zone during deer. I wear orange in and out, don't hunt duck on the deer opener or either Saturday, don't duck hunt public land and keep an orange hat handy if I see another hunter coming. I do wish we could get a 2nd split in PA and be closed during deer though. It's usually a really dead time for the duck season in the South. Early birds are done, locals are all on hyper wary mode and not much migrating through. I'd sooner have one or two more weeks at the end.

5. DirtyMerg

DirtyMerg Refuge Member

I guess I've just had the opposite experience- SZ I typically have some of my best duck hunting during rifle season because the pressure is down, it's really just weather driven I think. I've been up at hunting camp (Tioga) the last few years and have seen spots we typically hunt full of birds but have been frustrated I couldnt hunt them, well, now we can. Black friday (if its cold) historically I've seen a good push of birds. Just my $0.02