Northeast opener

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by darkvibe, Oct 4, 2019.

1. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

I'm heading back to my home town to visit family and do some hunting on Sunday morning near Rome, NY. We have a wood duck honey hole on some private land but I think I am going to haul my boat out and get some use out of that instead. Anyone from that area? Seeing many birds around?

2. mazenblue

mazenblue Refuge Member

I'm a bit further west than you, but tons of geese and a fair number of ducks around.

3. darkvibe

I'm hunting by Rome this weekend but I live out by Rochester, so even closer to you. Seeing a bunch of geese and a fair number of ducks in our area too.

4. mazenblue

mazenblue Refuge Member

It'll be nice when thd farmers get the corn cut. Can't wait for the colder weather.

5. darkvibe

What a slow morning. Only a couple of ducks passed by the decoys. Saw a few on a mission to head somewhere without giving us a look. Not many ducks around. Saw TONS of geese though.

6. mazenblue

mazenblue Refuge Member

I hate when that happens. Hopefully the cold front that is coming brings a few more down and if not goose is not far off.

7. darkvibe

I saw a couple of other groups out there. One group was doing quite a bit of shooting. Everyone else was mostly silent. The wind was almost 180 degrees from the forecast direction so we had to call an audible and find another spot. Headed for a point but saw lights out there so relocated. The group on the point I was heading to was the one doing the shooting.

8. mazenblue

mazenblue Refuge Member

Did you ended up getting getting blanked? Hopefully I can find a few spots for the opener. I've heard it's pretty good towards Rochester and Batavia.

9. darkvibe

Yup. Would have shot a couple wood ducks but it took longer to find a spot than expected and we were still getting the chairs set up and guns loaded when shooting time came and they screamed by. My brother in law is the only one that fired a shot and he missed.

I'm not familiar with any hunting spots on the west side of Rochester. I live east of the city.