Nuisance Geese Permits, MI

Putz463

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Did a search for "nuisance permit goose geese" and the threads that showed up were quite old and none MI specific so asking here if anyone has any current info they'd like to share. A couple farmers whom I have permission with have asked about nuisance permits to help reduce spring crop damage. Doing some homework, any info appreciated.

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've looked into it enough to know a nuisance permit is gold.
The phrase "by any means necessary" taken literally can mean full-auto rifles.

2eagles

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I talked last night to a state park manager about the over population of geese. They got permission / permits to destroy goose nests in the park this year. Says it’s more effective than oiling eggs like I’d heard before.

Peakebrook

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Several years ago, farmers were offered them in my area by the Feds. The kicker was no enticement......so no decoys or calling.

Fozzbear

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Several years ago, farmers were offered them in my area by the Feds. The kicker was no enticement......so no decoys or calling.

This is correct.

I had a farmer here that contacted me to shoot nuisance geese on his property. He was issued crop damage permits in Wi for the last three years by the WiDNR. There is generally a limit on the total number birds that can be taken on the issued permit. Sounds good on the surface until you read the rules. As Peakebrook said no decoys, no calling and you can not keep the birds for your own consumption. They must be disposed or donated to a food pantry. Only good thing is that you can shoot the entire allowed amount of birds on the permit at one time if you want to. Not very sporting or exciting to be honest. I did this for him given the fact that he owns a metric s%^t ton of land and gives me exclusive permission every year for waterfowl hunting so I felt obligated.

Peakebrook

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I forgot about no personal consumption. Seems asinine.

soiltester

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
This is correct.

I had a farmer here that contacted me to shoot nuisance geese on his property. He was issued crop damage permits in Wi for the last three years by the WiDNR. There is generally a limit on the total number birds that can be taken on the issued permit. Sounds good on the surface until you read the rules. As Peakebrook said no decoys, no calling and you can not keep the birds for your own consumption. They must be disposed or donated to a food pantry. Only good thing is that you can shoot the entire allowed amount of birds on the permit at one time if you want to. Not very sporting or exciting to be honest. I did this for him given the fact that he owns a metric s%^t ton of land and gives me exclusive permission every year for waterfowl hunting so I felt obligated.

Now that's takin' care of huntin' business, in a business like manner :tu

Putz463

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reply's and info. The consumption thing seems contradictory, as I see it (and some of my crew) a rule creating wanton waste. Reasonably sure few if any food pantry's accept wild game let alone any thing perishable. Be interesting to learn the basis for this facet of the permit. Nest/egg destruction isn't the issue here, the issue is the fields are bordered by a river and they come up off the river and mow through the fields like Locusts. 1/3 of a 30a plot of Soy turned into Goose poop and not needed cash for one frustrated farmer.

Fozzbear

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reply's and info. The consumption thing seems contradictory, as I see it (and some of my crew) a rule creating wanton waste. Reasonably sure few if any food pantry's accept wild game let alone any thing perishable. Be interesting to learn the basis for this facet of the permit. Nest/egg destruction isn't the issue here, the issue is the fields are bordered by a river and they come up off the river and mow through the fields like Locusts. 1/3 of a 30a plot of Soy turned into Goose poop and not needed cash for one frustrated farmer.

Believe it or not in the rules it mentioned one of the disposal options as "leave them lay". That was a tough pill to swallow. Thankfully after a few phone calls I found a food pantry about 60 miles from me that was happy to take them. That made it somewhat comfortable to do this. Everytime I went out though I have to say I was anticipating a visit from a CO or the local LEO. Never happened but I figured once someone heard all the shooting and possibly saw canada geese being taken well out of season they'd be on the horn immediately calling in a complaint.