Number of bird mounts

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Dr Duk, May 11, 2020.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Kind of surprised by how many have none and want none. I enjoy all of my birds. Each one brings a specific memory and leads to more. Doesn't hurt that they are beautiful. Guess I just like feathers. Between mounts and fans I have 20 in this room. Each is special. 20200511_150658.jpg 20200511_150716.jpg 20200511_150658.jpg

2. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

It’s just more junk for your kids to throw out one day. They’d appreciate the cash infinitely more than a room full of worthless mounts.

3. bill cooksey

In those two photos three birds were my father's and one is my son's. He'll be taking that turkey and several ducks and fans of his when he finishes school. Regardless, I'm more interested in the fact they give me joy while I'm living. I don't give a flying damn what he does with things when I die, and he'll get plenty of cash when he sells off the things we bought based on "needs." I buy things for one of two reasons, I either need them or they bring me joy.

Allan, spring man, CUPTDUCK and 5 others like this.
  4. TheDuckSlayer

that’s cool. It’s your money. Was just commenting on your “surprised more people don’t like mounts.” Some of us just dislike useless expensive clutter.

5. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

That turkey mount is kick ***!

6. bill cooksey

One man's useless expensive clutter is another man's cheap source of joy which luckily is also beautiful...you know, like good art. I also like art, and I also understand it, much like reading good books, is mostly out of favor with younger folks. Makes me sad because I know their lives are less rich because of it.

7. bill cooksey

Thanks, that one was my youngest son's first turkey. On the other side of the room is my oldest son's first. They were killed 16 years and 200 yards apart. Oldest died in a wreck in '02, and this bird is a hell of a special one. Damn glad I have it.
    20200511_152917.jpg
    John Beard did the mount on top of the safe. This one was by Pat Pitt (The Waterfowler). Pat also did most of my waterfowl.

8. TheDuckSlayer

Art has value. I myself am glad to see millennials and younger taking a less materialistic approach to life and accumulating less “stuff.” Different strokes I reckon.

9. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

I like the white cheeked pintail. Did that come from Argentina?

10. Duck Wrangler

Duck Wrangler Senior Refuge Member

I have right at 63 and a cinnamon at the taxidermist now(my son and I together). Still have 4 more to send off and will add a few more when and if I ever get a king. Yes, it's a lot of $$ tied up in mounts, but I enjoy looking at them and remembering when/where I killed them. Great conversation pieces when buddies come over. Pictures are great too; just not the same to me. I have moved just about all of the mounts out to my shop and have basically converted it to a man cave/apt.

spring man likes this.