Number of bird mounts

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Dr Duk, May 11, 2020.

1. grande long

grande long Senior Refuge Member

IMG_20190112_100640057.jpg IMG_20190112_100640057.jpg IMG_20190112_100640057.jpg 13 spread around the house and 60 in a mouse proof trailer used to kill more.and 4 different lichtenstiger carvings scattered around.if I were a rich man I'd have more.do decoy mounts count.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Yea, they do. But we don't always share what is in our head.

Someone visits. Sees the almost albino mount above the living room. Says, "Hey, that is cool."
    "Yea, it is. Let me tell you the story of how my dad got it."

Something tells me Bill gets that.

3. nobands

nobands Senior Refuge Member

I do like your drake curl collection though. I put mine in old empty hulls though. Every year I take a couple put in a empty and stick it in the ground above my Annie's grave on memorial day . Annie was the best dog ill ever have and she died in my arms on memorial day . Last time we hunted got 2 drakes ,nothing else.
    Got a thing about drake curls and pheasant tail feathers. No sprigs though we just don't see them much less shoot them.

bill cooksey and GK1 like this.
  4. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

1 for me a green winged teal drake I shot in Mississippi on public land... only bird I shot worth mounting... i had a drake gadwall i wanted to mount also till like 15 minutes after my buddy shot a stud drake gadwall made me not wanna mount mine... i had a chance at my dream bird a northern pintail one time down there and blew it all 3 of us did... but is what it is... up where I live its woodies and mallards... if I mount one of those I'm looking for that mature stud... other wise teal no plumage to em when we see em 20180315_204611.jpg

5. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

7 waterfowl (Atlantic brant, pure black, couple mallards, first sprig, cracking redhead, interphase blue). Three more at the taxi (euro wigeon, awesome storm, true cackler) and two in the freezer waiting (pacific brant, harli). Each is a great specimen, it that’s not why - each has a great story with it.

I could shoot the perfect bird and if it was easy and no story, then no interest in mounting.

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I had 6 cups of 100 pintail spikes (2 from each bird) and was working on the 7th along with the curls from a couple hundred greenheads and close to a thousand mini spikes from wigeon before I said enough clutter and pitched them all. Turns out as I got older it was all a meaningless display of 1,000+ birds killed. It was like a giant facebook pile pic, disgusting. I'm good with just the memories in my head other than the 3 special mounts I mention in my earlier post and I could even do without them just as easily.

7. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

Don't forget the Elvis on velvet painting.

TheDuckSlayer and waterrat like this.
  8. copperatiosu

copperatiosu Senior Refuge Member

1. A nice late season Drake Mallard, killed over a decoy I carved of one, using a duck call I made, hanging from a lanyard I made, and retrieved by my dog that I trained myself. Only bird I could justify spending $300 and waiting 3+ months on when I could go to Wally world and get a "canvas" print made for about $30 in 30 minutes... I prefer to spend my fun money on decoys. 20181025_212054.jpg 20200120_202558.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Pirogue

Pirogue Elite Refuge Member

Bro....just stop .Bill just stated that a turkey mount that he was proud of was a bird killed by his Son who has passed on. Yet you wanna go o and call them flea market knick knacks ?? Get over yourself.

Doofighter and bullpinnie like this.
  10. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

I’ve inherited a bunch of taxidermy but never had anything done for myself. Not really into it but if my kids really wanted one, I’d probably consider it.