NYS DEC Revised Mute Swan Management Plan

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by Hunt n' Fish, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Hunt n' Fish

Hunt n' Fish Elite Refuge Member

Well, the DEC has revised their mute swan plan, and catered to the social backlash of eradicating the swans. So, they'll kill them all upstate, but leave some alone here on LI where they are deemed to be more tolerated.

Here's a good synopsis of the plan: NYS DEC Mute Swan Page

Hunting is still an option though, so hunters, email your comments to [email protected]
    to let them know if this option interests you.

Here is the Revised Management Plan

and Section 3.3 discusses hunting as an option:

3.3 Allow take of mute swans by waterfowl hunters in certain
    situations. ECL Section 11-0103 defines all swans as ?migratory game birds,? although DEC has not previously established an open season for taking mute swans. Some waterfowl hunters in New York would like the opportunity to take a swan while they are hunting native species of ducks and geese, in part to help reduce the impacts of swans on habitats that the other species depend upon. However, some hunters are concerned that this could contribute to negative public attitudes toward hunting in general. In consideration of these views, DEC will evaluate the pros and cons of allowing waterfowl hunters to take mute swans in some circumstances before proposing such a regulation. This could be limited to tidal waters only, because those are the principal habitats of concern downstate, and it would exclude areas where native swans regularly occur in upstate New York. Waterfowl hunters would have to comply with species identification requirements for swans as they already do for various species of ducks and geese. Hunting would not occur where local ordinances prohibit the discharge of firearms for public safety, such as New York City or urban parks where mute swans are kept pursuant to a DEC permit or license. Other hunting constraints, such as season dates or bag limits, may be considered to further minimize conflicts or adverse public reaction towards people who hunt.

Chris

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

All the reason's against hunting mute swan should be tested against all those states that allow it as well as Tundra Swan. All the myths against hunting swan will be exposed for what they are. BS.

3. corkdeke dukker

corkdeke dukker Senior Refuge Member

Was hunting geese in the Hudson valley on a pond this season and had a mute swan decoy in wings cupped and feet out. Would have been real nice to take it as I have never seen that before. Wouldn't you know a second bird does the same thing a little later. Private land hunt, I hope I get the opportunity again with a season or unprotected status.:tu

4. Finfeathr

Finfeathr Senior Refuge Member

There were tons of them on the bay this season...they are getting out of control. They are an invasive species and you should be allowed to take them out of the natural landscape like all the other invasive species. Unfortunately, they are "pretty", so the masses that get thier information about the natural world from Disney features campaign to get them protected from evil hunters.

I sent a letter to DEC, got a form letter response.:doh

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Some good reading all about Mutes in general and in reference to them in Virginia.
    Heres a sample that allows us to hunt them in Va.

?.." Humans have a limited impact on the mortality of mute swans due to the absence of a
    traditional hunting season. In some states, mute swans are protected under general wildlife laws,
    while other states have specifically removed these protections for management and control
    purposes. In Virginia, mute swans are listed as a nuisance species and can be taken anytime
    (except on Sundays), although the number taken is believed to be relatively low. Some birds are
    taken during the tundra swan hunting season or during other waterfowl seasons. "

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildli...t-plan/virginia-mute-swan-management-plan.pdf

6. Frank Lopez

Frank Lopez Elite Refuge Member

The DEC seems to be in favor of a hunting season, though a somewhat restricted one. If they do institute a season, I'm guessing that it will be a tag system much like big game. Except that they may institute a lottery for the tags. I happen to agree that they should be completely removed from the environment.

I do believe that the problem with getting a season on these birds is not the DEC, but the politicians. Specifically, State Senator Ken LaValle. He is a well known bunny hugger and a long term and powerful member of the state senate. It was, in fact, his legislation that stopped the DEC's 2014 study because it included the killing of the swans. For whatever it is worth, I sent him an email expressing my outrage at his political intervention with an environmental program and an intervention based on personal reasons rather than the good of his constituents.

With this guy in Albany, the only way anyone will see an open season on mute swans is to fight fire with fire. It takes only a few minutes to type an email to LaValle expressing you disapproval. And a couple of minutes more to send another to the rest of the state senate urging them to not support any legislation on restricting the DEC's plans for the mute swan.

Frank

7. Frank Lopez

Frank Lopez Elite Refuge Member

Chris, I hope you don't mind my borrowing some space, and possibly hijacking your thread. I though it appropriate to post this here rather than create a new thread.

The DEC has recently issued its revised draft of the Mute Sway Management plan. As many of you know, these birds are a non-native, invasive species that can, and do cause problems for the local ecology. Last year, the plan was scuttled by state senator Ken LaValle. He is a known bunny hugger and introduced legislation that stopped the DEC's study until a "proper study" could be done. I found that a curious choice of words, since the DEC is supposed to be the state's professional and expert arm in the area of our environment. I recently received an email from the senator regarding the new (2015) draft that the DEC put out. I sent him an email expressing my outrage at his misuse of his political power to further his personal agenda and interfere with a state sanctioned scientifically backed proposal. Still, Mr. LaValle is a long time and powerful member of the state senate. One email from an unhappy constituent will hardly alter his course. In fact, I doubt that a flood of emails would change his opinion.

About a month or so ago, I posted a link to a poll regarding the proposed waterfowl season dates for next year. I received a good response, so banking on that, I created another poll to determine the climate for a hunting season on mute swans. If the results of the poll are favorable to a hunting season, I will forward the results to the DEC and every member of the state senate and assembly urging them to support the DEC's efforts.

Please take a minute to participate in the poll:
    http://www.poll-maker.com/poll268663x40C5ec73-10

Frank

8. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

I don't think id target swans for a hunt.... they swim almost everywhere they go... they seldom seem to fly and when they do its two maybe three at a time... and it might be a day before you see anymore fly!!

maybe id take a shot as some just flying by while I was goose or duck hunting.

9. Band Buster

Band Buster Elite Refuge Member

Can anyone comment on what they may taste like? Goose? Brant? good/ bad? has someone maybe tried tundra swan? They may not be native but I sure would disagree with eradication. thinning of the flock would be acceptable. IMO...

10. Hunt n' Fish

Hunt n' Fish Elite Refuge Member

No problem at all Frank. I'm happy to see activity on the thread. I just took your survey, and I submitted email comments to the DEC when I started this thread.

Bob, I agree that it would be difficult to target them to "hunt". It would be more of a target of opportunity. I have two tundra swans painted with orange bills I use as confidence decoys in some areas, and I've never had mutes decoy to them. However, this past year, I had three separate instances where swans flew by to buzz the rig and would have provided opportunities to take them.

Dan, I know you were not in favor of eradication when this plan was originally proposed. I'd support it myself, but that is a moot point now anyway. I hope that this new proposal is more palatable to you and other hunters like yourself that may not have supported the prior plan.

Speaking of palatable! I have taken and eaten tundra swan which I shot in North Dakota. They, along with sandhill cranes were fantastic eating. Like pot roast actually. I do not personally believe that a mute swan shot off a tidal area that's been eating sea lettuce is going to taste the same a a tundra swan from the prairie pothole region though. I have no interest in shooting swans swimming into the rig, however, let me state from experience, to take one of these birds out of the air and watch them crash into the spread, is AWESOME indeed!

[​IMG]

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, don't they look delicious!

[​IMG]