California Flyway Forum Sponsors

O T again - that time of year

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by OFH, Nov 13, 2019.

1. OFH

OFH Elite Refuge Member

If anyone sees the pecan sign up at S Tarke Rd at the west end of the Sutter by pass could you let me know? Thanks

Brottboss likes this.
  2. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

Pete. You will be happy to hear We are actually planting a smaller orchard of pecans soon. I will have ya covered!!!

In the meantime, I will go by the sign area off Tarke rd here in the next week and let ya know.

3. OFH

OFH Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Mark. As to the new orchard, chances are I won't be around that long to crack nuts from it, but sure wish you well with the endeavor. The ones now selling there off S Tarke Rd are not as big as those from Georgia, they have great flavor. Ought to be a good market of them here.

4. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

Mallards love pecans

freefall and JuvieCoot like this.
  5. Hunter/Gather

Hunter/Gather Elite Refuge Member

Pete,
    Glad to see you're looking for those pecans again. You're an inspiration!
    I found a spot with more than a few wild hazelnuts this year, but they are kind of like finding diamonds.

Mitch

6. OFH

OFH Elite Refuge Member

Mitch, remember how I told you about the grove of big chinquapin trees I found while cruising the Hammond lands behind Big Lagoon? I have often wondered what the nuts from them would have been like, since the tree is a close relative to the American chestnut.
    And I used to run across hazel nuts too; you are right - scarce they are and hard to crack out in the field!

7. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Chinquapin nuts aren't bad, a lot of work though.

8. OFH

OFH Elite Refuge Member

Where do you find chinquapins today? That grove I mentioned was unique the only one found in all the time I spent in the redwoods. The trees were close to 3 feet in diameter and tall - 4 16 foot logs before the first branch. Would have made some beautiful furniture

9. Hunter/Gather

Hunter/Gather Elite Refuge Member

Pete there are still chinquapin all along that same first high ridge that kind of transitions the coastal to the warmer interior here in Humboldt. Those big ones you saw are likely all gone. Maybe someone had the opportunity to make that kind of quality wood out of them. I know I've pulled several loads of firewood off that ridge from chinquapin that were left behind on landings when timber harvest was focused on redwood and fir. The wood reminds me of a blonde mahogany. I wish I had some of the nice old stuff to see how it would carve for decoys.

Mitch

10. DrksPles

DrksPles New Member

S.. Tarke sign isn't up, but "Pecans for sale" sign is posted 1 mile West on north side Hwy 20 at Hageman road. Hope that helps. Will keep eye on S. Tarke when I'm back from holiday.