O/T do people get paid while being transported to a job site?

yellowlab03

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I get paid when I fly or drive over 2 hours plus per diem if it's an overnight trip.

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
giphy (3).gif

swifthunter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
35 years in commercial construction... If you weren't working, you weren't paid.
I highly doubt they are paid, but they probably count their blessings for the company transport.
I spent over 15 years traveling an hour and a half just to get to work. My truck... My gas... 3 hours a day driving and still I was happy to have the job.
Imagine how much better life would have been if you got paid mileage or your hourly wage for that time

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My shop pays one way .
For example leave the shop at 7:30 arrive at the job at 8:30 .
Work till 4 with pay and get back to shop at 5 .

negooseman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I get paid to sit in a hotel room after so many hours.

darkvibe

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Depends on the company and state. Some pay, some don't and some pay for travel time after the first 45 minutes or whatever.

Wood-Dro

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If it's a prevailing wage project, yes. But it's a travel time rate and not the full prevailing wage rate. If it's a private sector job we might give them something if that travel distance is outside normal distance from our main office. An employer does not owe for commute time. However, if the employees are being dispatched to a centralized location so that they could Vanpool, there is a strong argument that they are now working and should be paid.

BigSkyDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
When I traveled 50% I was paid in the car/on the plane. I was also paid on the Sunday afternoons that I drove 5 hours. And at night in the hotel room. Being salaried ain’t all it’s cracked up to be!

BigMike

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Imagine how much better life would have been if you got paid mileage or your hourly wage for that time
I probably wouldn't have had a job...
How can an employer make money if his employee isn't producing?
I could have worked close to home if I really wanted.... but I would have made much less for the same skillset.
I traveled on my dime and made a very good wage. If I took the convenient route and stressed over "my time" then I would only have made 1/3 the wage without any real benefits.
Hour for hour, I maximized my earnings... No regrets.

WILDDUX

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I own an environmental consulting firm in CA (obviously CA is diff than most states) with about 30 trucks. My employees travel anywhere from 10 min to 3 hours each way everyday - if they are in the company truck, they are being paid. There are some gray areas to get around that but many employees wouldn’t work if they weren’t getting paid for commute time.

Latest posts