O/U waterfowl recommendations

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by shell waster, Jul 31, 2019.

1. shell waster

shell waster Senior Refuge Member

Tell the one I won't be getting, the Browning wicked wing- no stud swivels for sling and only three chokes included, seems like Browning cheaped out on a $2000 gun. Nothing more crappy when standing in 2 ft water and having to hold onto you gun for the entire time, guess all the engineers at Browning sit in a heated blind with their guns in the rack therefore no need for a sling.

2. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I would say put in the studs yourself. You aren’t going to find many if any at all decent quality O/Us that have swivel studs on them

Neighbor Guy and mudhen like this.
  3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You mean.... not everyone hunts that way??

mudhen likes this.
  4. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Hated to do it but when I bought a 3 1/2" citori several years ago had to add a barrel band and buttstock swivel to make the gun more user friendly for duck hunting.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. shell waster

shell waster Senior Refuge Member

So a shotgun designed for duck hunting shouldn't have studs? Any recommendations? What about the CZ swamp magnum

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Neighbor Guy, Fowler267 and SB2MAG like this.
  7. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

The truth is, none of the O/Us are actually designed for waterfowl hunting. Sure they put "wicked wing" lip stick on a Cynergy, but that certainly doesn't mean the Cynergy was designed for duck hunting.

You didn't explain why exactly are you looking for a dedicated waterfowl O/U? It seems like you may be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I personally would recommend getting a nice O/U to enjoy clay games, upland, and maybe a blue bird day duck hunt. Let the guns that actually are designed for waterfowl hunting do their job. Sure some people bring their 686 or Cynergy to the duck blind and enjoy it. That still doesn't make them the best option for waterfowl.

mudhen and Tuleman like this.
  8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Most buyers would not let the absence of sling swivels dissuade them from buying a gun they like.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

O/U is all I shoot, for everything. It is also all my Father ever shot. While I grew up shooting a single barrel, SxS, and a variety of pumps, I finally realized in my elder years the O/U was what I liked shooting. Makes a lot of sense with steel shells. The ability to mix chokes with shot sizes maximizes what steel can do.

Neighbor Guy and Fowler267 like this.
  10. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

This would be a great response to the question. If that were the case, I feel like he wouldn't be hung up on sling swivels. I'm wondering what the OP's motivation is. If it's just to open himself up to the world of O/Us, I'd still stand by my recommendation of finding a nicer, though not necessarily "waterfowl" model. If his motivation is to find a gun "designed for duck hunting" as stated, he may be better served moving a few feet down the gun rack.
    He may be best served overall by buying a cheaper, yet functional model that he wouldn't be afraid of screwing sling swivels into and rattle canning camo.