O/U waterfowl recommendations

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by shell waster, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Your last comment would be my advice. I did the same when buying a CZ Teal to hunt with. I knew it wouldn’t have the quality or durability of what I’m used to in higher end Beretta O/Us, but I bought it as a beater and have no qualms using it as such.

Dave in AZ likes this.
  2. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Speaking of “down the gun rack”, I just bought a like new but used, Yildiz 20 gauge. Got 4 chokes with it and $275 took it out the door. I’m proud to have it and it handles great. Crazy thing is, it’s looks to good to rattle can. 1 month till burn some dubs with it.

duck dawg likes this.
  3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

That sure sounds like fun coming ? I wish you more than just a couple trips without gun issues but , I do understand you wanting the cheapest waterfowl
    gun made in Turkey ! I to hunt with a O/U at times as I have several with overbored barrels and as far as simplicity , they are great . The fact of having 2
    different choke constrictions can be a advantage at times . I say this as there are better quality O/U's that will make you "prouder" and "serve you longer" as
    a used gun just waitng for a New owner who wouldn't have to hide it with camo . But , it's your dime and time to spend with it.....enjoy !

Sunklands likes this.
  4. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

I've got one of their 12 gauges and like it a lot.

5. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

I gave up on shooting autos, both gas and recoil models, just had to many fail to function issues. Have tried a pump but sometimes short shucked it causing a jam. Been shooting a sawed off Fox Stevens SBS and a Stafano Fausti O/U the last two seasons with good results. Never had a jam or failure to fire with either one. Cylinder bores on SBS deadly out too 30 yds.

Fowler267 likes this.
  6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

If you have never seen the destruction a shotshell could cause , let me tell you it's horrendous ! I personally want to have the Best American Engineered
    Shotgun I can afford to put my cheek against , inline with a explosive that's trying to blow back like a shotgun shell , especially a waterfowl load . This isn't
    a warning but it is the faith I have in our safety measures in "this" countries gun manufactures . Even tho I do shoot German and Italian guns for clay targets
    I just can't except the integrity of a gun made in a country at war for so many years and their supply of quality parts . Think about it , as it only takes one ,
    can the next shell be......Horrendous to you or your family ?

7. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Seen it on the rack there, on two earlier occasions and wasn’t going to give what they were initially asking but got’em down where I deemed acceptable, for the “cheapest waterfowl gun made in Turkey”.

8. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

CZ swamp magnum.

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I forgot to answer the question.

For an inexpensive, tough, reliable O/U, look at the Baikal, or as Remington sold them, Spartan (simply imported by Remington, still a Baikal)

I have 3. I started with the 12 ga when I got tired of beating up my Citori for duck hunting. Got it in 2007. Shot it for about 5 years, then got one in 20ga. Since I rattle can my guns, and I like to practice at the Club, I got another one for practice. It also, obviously, serves as a back-up. 'I' never needed it for that, but my buddy had to borrow it when he forgot his 12ga ammo. I had plenty of 20ga to lend him.

I shoot the 'practice' gun almost every week, so 2-400 rounds per month in the off season. The 'hunter' has been subjected to every abuse you can imagine, including being dropped in the river twice, and multiple hunts in -20 degree temps. Never once had a FtF, or any other problem. That goes for all 3 guns.

Gunbroker has them all the time. I just checked, and there are multiple listings, starting around $250 (no idea what the reserve might be) I paid between $300 and $350 for all of mine via Gunbroker.

And, yea, I know. Cheap Russian gun. Well, inexpensive, yes. Cheap, not so much. The Baikal name is pretty popular in Europe, and they also make some VERY high end guns. I did a lot of research on them before I made my decision. I know exactly how the OP feels about wanting something less expensive for hunting. I try to treat my guns with respect, but things happen when you cross rivers and walk through sage. As a bonus, the Baikals fit me almost exactly like my Citori does.

10. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I have owned a 12 gauge 11/87 SP since 93. SBE1 since 1998. Mossberg 500 12 since 84 and an 835 for a year before trading for the SBE.

I have a CZ Bobwhite SxS 20 gauge on order as I type which will hopefully be here before the seasons open up in September. I will use it for dove, ducks and upland as well as a goose if one cooperates... I also have a CZ Canvasback O/U that I bought last year which has impressed me with the quality, fit, feel and style at a bargain price of the CZ/Huglu guns

Neighbor Guy likes this.