O/U waterfowl recommendations

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by shell waster, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Your last comment would be my advice. I did the same when buying a CZ Teal to hunt with. I knew it wouldn’t have the quality or durability of what I’m used to in higher end Beretta O/Us, but I bought it as a beater and have no qualms using it as such.

Dave in AZ likes this.
  2. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Speaking of “down the gun rack”, I just bought a like new but used, Yildiz 20 gauge. Got 4 chokes with it and $275 took it out the door. I’m proud to have it and it handles great. Crazy thing is, it’s looks to good to rattle can. 1 month till burn some dubs with it.

duck dawg likes this.
  3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

That sure sounds like fun coming ? I wish you more than just a couple trips without gun issues but , I do understand you wanting the cheapest waterfowl
    gun made in Turkey ! I to hunt with a O/U at times as I have several with overbored barrels and as far as simplicity , they are great . The fact of having 2
    different choke constrictions can be a advantage at times . I say this as there are better quality O/U's that will make you "prouder" and "serve you longer" as
    a used gun just waitng for a New owner who wouldn't have to hide it with camo . But , it's your dime and time to spend with it.....enjoy !

Sunklands likes this.
  4. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

I've got one of their 12 gauges and like it a lot.

5. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

I gave up on shooting autos, both gas and recoil models, just had to many fail to function issues. Have tried a pump but sometimes short shucked it causing a jam. Been shooting a sawed off Fox Stevens SBS and a Stafano Fausti O/U the last two seasons with good results. Never had a jam or failure to fire with either one. Cylinder bores on SBS deadly out too 30 yds.

6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

If you have never seen the destruction a shotshell could cause , let me tell you it's horrendous ! I personally want to have the Best American Engineered
    Shotgun I can afford to put my cheek against , inline with a explosive that's trying to blow back like a shotgun shell , especially a waterfowl load . This isn't
    a warning but it is the faith I have in our safety measures in "this" countries gun manufactures . Even tho I do shoot German and Italian guns for clay targets
    I just can't except the integrity of a gun made in a country at war for so many years and their supply of quality parts . Think about it , as it only takes one ,
    can the next shell be......Horrendous to you or your family ?

7. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Seen it on the rack there, on two earlier occasions and wasn’t going to give what they were initially asking but got’em down where I deemed acceptable, for the “cheapest waterfowl gun made in Turkey”.

8. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

CZ swamp magnum.

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I forgot to answer the question.

For an inexpensive, tough, reliable O/U, look at the Baikal, or as Remington sold them, Spartan (simply imported by Remington, still a Baikal)

I have 3. I started with the 12 ga when I got tired of beating up my Citori for duck hunting. Got it in 2007. Shot it for about 5 years, then got one in 20ga. Since I rattle can my guns, and I like to practice at the Club, I got another one for practice. It also, obviously, serves as a back-up. 'I' never needed it for that, but my buddy had to borrow it when he forgot his 12ga ammo. I had plenty of 20ga to lend him.

I shoot the 'practice' gun almost every week, so 2-400 rounds per month in the off season. The 'hunter' has been subjected to every abuse you can imagine, including being dropped in the river twice, and multiple hunts in -20 degree temps. Never once had a FtF, or any other problem. That goes for all 3 guns.

Gunbroker has them all the time. I just checked, and there are multiple listings, starting around $250 (no idea what the reserve might be) I paid between $300 and $350 for all of mine via Gunbroker.

And, yea, I know. Cheap Russian gun. Well, inexpensive, yes. Cheap, not so much. The Baikal name is pretty popular in Europe, and they also make some VERY high end guns. I did a lot of research on them before I made my decision. I know exactly how the OP feels about wanting something less expensive for hunting. I try to treat my guns with respect, but things happen when you cross rivers and walk through sage. As a bonus, the Baikals fit me almost exactly like my Citori does.

10. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I have owned a 12 gauge 11/87 SP since 93. SBE1 since 1998. Mossberg 500 12 since 84 and an 835 for a year before trading for the SBE.

I have a CZ Bobwhite SxS 20 gauge on order as I type which will hopefully be here before the seasons open up in September. I will use it for dove, ducks and upland as well as a goose if one cooperates... I also have a CZ Canvasback O/U that I bought last year which has impressed me with the quality, fit, feel and style at a bargain price of the CZ/Huglu guns

Neighbor Guy likes this.