O/U waterfowl recommendations

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by shell waster, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Well to each their own , I will pray for you all ! You should be wearing a sign on your backs telling others what you're shooting so they can stay clear ?
    Most of you seem like really nice fellas , please wear protection for the unknown . I'd hate to lose someone to talk about waterfowling with .....:yes:pra

2. shell waster

shell waster Senior Refuge Member

The reason why I am looking for one is that is what I used when I was kid. I bought an o/u with my hard earned paper route money. I still have it but I don't want to subject it to the swamp bashing we do now. My older brother was hand loading with a Lee load all and occasionally get a jam with his pump. He told to get an o/u so I did. An Armi Marocchi, I think that's the right spelling. We used load serious heavy loads, 3 inch, 1 7/8 oz of #4 lead...never had a recoil issue ever since those days...so basically looking for an o/u that I can beat on, maybe a camo pattern and preferably studs for a sling. The one spot we hunt we call the "septic tank", the beaver and loon crap is beyond gross and if the temp goes over say 40 the smell is rank, my hunting buddy won't take his Beretta in there cause he "has to clean for a long time" after- so yeah maybe not a spot for a $2000 gun. Wonder if marocchi is still in buisnees, might have to google later

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  3. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

shell waster likes this.
  4. billwnr

billwnr Elite Refuge Member

I shoot the Browning o/u's and after a 30 minute drive to the local gun store and 5 minutes to install a barrel band and a stock sling swivel I'm good to go. I also order Carlson's choke tubes so I can adjust the chokes depending on how the ducks are flying or also what constriction the ammo requires.

Neighbor Guy likes this.
  5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Smart Man , there's something about a experienced hunters gear , usually his success to !

mudhen likes this.
  6. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

I went citori 20gauge for me, then did what still kind of hurts me to think about, but had Gander dip it. Barrel snake is how it gets cleaned, that's it, and that's why I did it, I didn't want something I had to clean non-stop or worry about.

Now I have a quality gun that I can abuse, and enjoy, and if I drop it, I'll never find it.

I did the cheaper o/u and sxs guns throughout the years and my main guns were always autos, generally super black eagles, though some Remmy's and a super x2 in there as well. When I decided I wanted my last waterfowl shotgun, this was it, could've went cheap beater and that's got some logic and reason behind it but decided to go the way I did.

I like it, and I always liked how I shot the citori line, I decided price wasn't going to matter this time as it was time to get what I wanted.

Neighbor Guy and 3labman like this.
  7. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

I bought a Browning cynergy camo of Gunbroker for $1200 plus shipping. Always loved the way the felt in the store just wouldn't pony up the 2K. I've now come to the point where I don't worry too much about what I do to a 2K gun, cuz you should see how I beat the crap out of 25K mud boat....

8. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

9. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

That thing looks a bit .....rough for the $$$? And I'd bet it would be a dream to shoot 3-1/2"ers out of it! :eek: :l

10. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member