Ogden

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by JP, Mar 19, 2016.

1. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

What would be the overall opinion for living in the Ogden area?

Have looked up the data on it versus where we are now and the two areas area strikingly approximate except for altitude and snowfall which is not a detrimental factor.

What are the overall public hunting opportunities?

Oklahoma has ~1.3 million acres of PHA but no walk-in areas as the UDNR website indicated.

One thing noted were the drought conditions lamented in many recent hunting reports. ny opinions on the long-range outlook as some scientific data appears to indicate the west may be entering a long-term drought scenario.

Many Thanx, in advance! JP

2. rmk800

rmk800 Elite Refuge Member

overall public hunting opportunities are almost limitless. plenty of public areas to go hunting for all kinds of game. drawbacks are less of a lake (gsl) every year and increasing population to compete with....

that about sums it up!

3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Thank you for the response, we are looking at retirement in a few seasons and that area intrigued me, especially with the data gathered, thus far.

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

We lived in Perry Utah 96-04. 10 miles north of Ogden. The whole area is booming.
    I dont hunt Sundays; most Saturdays I was home for breakfast and had 4 consecutive years over 100 ducks.
    At that time big game , waterfowl and upland was a short ATV ride from the front door. Willard Bay may not be the greatest fishery but has a wide variety of fishing.
    Northern Utah is an incredible place

5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Salty,

Thanks for the info!

What was surprising is the very similar demographics (although Ogden's crime stats were higher) between Ogden & Broken Arrow and the climate (except for annual snowfall) was within a few degrees of each other. Bet Ogden doesn't have the tornadoes we do tho'...

One concern is if the purported trend toward a long-term drought situation for everything west of Oklahoma City to the west coast has any validity?

6. rjefre

rjefre Elite Refuge Member

Keep in mind that Salt hunter is talking about how things were a long time ago. As RMK says, there are LOT'S of places to go out and hunt, fish , hike, ect around the Odgen area, BUT duck hunting is on it's way out. The Great Salt Lake marshlands are dying off due to a lethal combination of invasive species (phragmites) and water diversion. There have been numerous studies recently that show that the drought is the LEAST of the wetland's worries. Our clueless legislature just voted to divert $177 million over the next several years from the highway fund to a special fund to begin diverting more water from the GSL. Eventually they will spend 2.3 billion on the proposed water diversions (which include diverting the Bear River away from the GSL). I live in the Ogden area, and it is great, but the reality is that Utah has the highest birth rate in the nation for the last 75 years...they have to live somewhere, and our dwindling public lands are the final crowded bastion of respite from the hordes.
    R

7. rjefre

8. mudderfodder

mudderfodder Senior Refuge Member

I'm extremely worried about the future of duck hunting here. There are so many things of concern. However, I must say that the managers of Ogden Bay have done a terrific job of keeping some areas going. In the past few years I worried that Ogden would truly suck in the areas I hunt. This past year certainly was not phenomenal but I had good hunts every time I went. The managers have used their water wisely.

9. rjefre

The new manager of Ogden Bay WMA (Rich Hansen) is doing a great job. They have some senior water rights that help them keep water coming into the WMA. That helps, but the overall picture is bleak. On the bright side, he is working to really beef up the nesting projects on the WMA over the next few years, so we can grow some more local birds! I guess some Eagle Scouts are helping make some nests, and the Utah Airboat Association is helping with some $$ and some pipe for the nesting structures.
    Hopefully he can find enough cattle to graze on the phrag, and that could open up some more area to spread out the crowds.
    R

10. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Rjefre correct. It isnt the same.
    The opportunities are still remarkable compared to other places across the west.
    Many of the better places wont have water until unused irrigation water starts to flow into basin.