Ogden

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by JP, Mar 19, 2016.

1. mudderfodder

mudderfodder Senior Refuge Member

As I mentioned above, I have been pessimistic about hunting every year but have often been pleasantly surprised. I typically don't run into many people where I hunt because I bust my hump to get there. As I get older I know those days are numbered. The question for us hunters is whether we will be willing to sacrifice to keep duck hunting around. The biggest benefit to the GSL is that it gives ducks a place to hang out during the day. What if they had other places to hang out? It's hard to imagine setting aside more rest areas when acreage is dwindling, but rest areas might be a key. Might it even be feasible, for example, to dike new areas and create new rest areas. I know that presents challenges and more areas to keep up, but is it a consideration. Boats have become the norm for hunting. Will people be willing to not use their boats as much to improve hunting? That might not be feasible because the flip side is that boats help spread people out. Dare I even mention a reservation system? Still, what are we willing to sacrifice?

The areas I hunt at Ogden Bay have benefited significantly from cattle. The cattle have not only kept new growth down, but this year they had clearly opened up additional acreage. Hopefully next year will be the same. When I scouted before the season I noticed that they had mowed down hundreds of acres. I don't know if those areas ever filled with water later but there appears to be potential there. There are perhaps things that can be done. The GSL may lose its water but the WMAs will most likely continue to have water. How will we be able to continue to take advantage of that. Is duck hunting disappearing or is the way we duck hunt disappearing?

2. rjefre

rjefre Elite Refuge Member

Very insightful post. I think it will be a big change in the numbers of waterfowl that the area will hold. The birds will have no choice but to overfly the GSL ecosystem or just stay a day or two before realizing that there is nothing here to hold them anymore. That is what is happening now. The WMA's will be there for us, but they can't sustain extremely high useage without more rest areas.
    Those areas that were mowed down, were part of an experimental procedure to see if it will decompose. It got a little water in it later on, but there is nothing there but layed over phrag thatch, so there is no food to speak of. It will be interesting to see if any high-value vegetation can/will grow up through the thatch (which is 2-3 ft deep in some ares).
    Fingers crossed!
    R