Old A5 questions

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Keegan, Apr 1, 2021.

1. pounder

pounder Elite Refuge Member

#2 and smaller is safe for those old barrels ( full choke)....never had an issue with my old Mag 12

dog duck gun likes this.
  2. Southern Quacker

Southern Quacker Refuge Member

Go to the Brownell's site and order you a set of the Correct screw tips for the A5 screws and break it all the way down and give it a good cleaning....and a touch of Gun Oil in a few locations. Tip set is about $15.00. I've got all 5 models and break them down every few years and clean them....

dog duck gun likes this.
  3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

^^^^^^ THIS! Yeah, don’t bugger up the classic’s screws. There are YouTube vids showing complete break downs of the Auto-5.

4. Pirogue

Pirogue Elite Refuge Member

I have several Old A5s....have shot cases #4 steel through a few if them that are choked Mod witb zero bulges or problems.

dog duck gun likes this.
  5. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Your gun was made between June and December of 1954.

Steel #2 and smaller gets shot through any older Auto 5 of mine with any choke more open than full...and I’ve not seen issues with #3-#4 steel through full chokes.....but you have to make your own call. All the factory, smooth bore slug barrels were cylinder choke, AFAIK. Hollow ground screwdrivers are a must, IF you need to disassemble them, but it’s generally not necessary for normal maintenance and cleaning.

mmayes and Keegan like this.
  6. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

:l

7. magnumyammerhammer

We use to shoot steel out of model 12 heavy ducks all the time with no problems. One of our friends used to have a model 1200 full choke 30" he shot steel out of. Number four shot at ducks and F's at geese.

8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

FWIW shooting to may steel shot loads with pellets larger than 2's will swage the constriction more open in due time , maybe even Ringing the barrel
    just behind the tapered section on some guns ! Surely Barrel wall thickness dictates when it will happen ? Also , you'll never get the pattern density
    with a .030 or tighter choke shooting steel larger than #2's as you would with a more open choke !

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  9. magnumyammerhammer

Never noticed any ringing, and kilt a lotta fowl. Not saying modified wouldn't have been a better choice. I believe that about pattern density. An old guy who ran the gun club i used to shoot at said the best goose gun was a cylinder or IC choked gun and magnum BB's. Said he got a great pattern and killed many geese at 60 to 70 yards with that combo. And by golly when an old guy tells me something I tend to believe it. :l

10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

dwr353 and magnumyammerhammer like this.