Old Belgin A5?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by callinfowl, Sep 27, 2019.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

My father has an old A5 with an extra barrel, I think it's a Hastings.
    My question is my father doesn't remember anything about setting up the rings. And I'd like to turn this into my primary duck gun, how hard is it to set up these gun for steel shot? Are they hard to break down for a deep cleaning. I'm sure it hasn't been gone through in over 20 years.
    I'm pretty excited about shooting this gun again, I've always shot it well.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Dan

2. mudhopper

mudhopper New Member

Check out arts gun shop on YouTube, tons of information on the auto 5

callinfowl and Sunklands like this.
  3. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Whether it’s 2.75” or 3” chamber, the friction rings, should be set for standard or light loads, when using any steel shot. Magnum loads in lead, whether they’re 2.75” or 3” doesn’t matter, should be set with both friction rings(magnum setting). Magnum setting should also be used for tungsten.
    I’ve shot thousands of rounds of steel from 12 and 20 gauge, Belgian Auto 5’s. Never had any barrel or choke issues but never shoot steel larger than #2’s. Those barrels are alot tougher than folks have recently given them credit for.

callinfowl, ALMODUX and dog duck gun like this.
  4. Sunklands

I believe wad technology has made it safer to shoot small diameter steel through guns like the 1100’s, 1148’s, 12’s, 5’s, and 37’s.

callinfowl and Fowler267 like this.
  5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Here's a diagram of the ring set up
    1727d1460996241-friction-ring-thoughts-older-auto-5-a5_mag_recoil[1].png
    As for taking them down it's not the worst job in the world but it takes time. One thing I can tell you is have a very good screwdriver set or grind your own to fit the screws on the gun.
    I asked Mr. Isaacson (art) if he preferred grinding his own screwdrivers after watching him make one while I was there one time. He seemed to like making his own to match the screws on a gun, he can turn them out quick for sure.

callinfowl likes this.
  6. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

Does the hasting barrel have screw in chokes.

7. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

That's a Mag12 diagram. Light Twelve and/or 2 3/4" gun as follows (Mag 12 lower half of pic):
    EDIT: DON'T OIL THE MAG TUBE IT WILL KICK THE HELL OUT OF YOU IF YOU DO!!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    callinfowl likes this.
  8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Hastings made (early on) some barrels (smooth bore) that weren't Wadlock barrels (straight rifled/broached bore) as I have one in both 12 and 20 gauge. They and the ~9 Wadlock barrels I have are all choke tubed.

callinfowl likes this.
  9. Sunklands

I’ve got a Wadlock barrel, with screw in chokes, on one of my Auto 5’s and it probably patterns a tad better with SOME factory ammo than others. With 10Gagenuts handloads, the Jap invector barrel is better. Probably has to do with wads and or pressures.

callinfowl likes this.
  10. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Everyone has steered you pretty good. I’d add that most Auto 5s hardly EVER ‘need’ to be completely ‘disassembled’ for cleaning. All they need is hosing out with cleaner/solvents, maybe air air hose on occasion, and light oil where needed. They’re made to flush anything not attached, pretty easily. Store muzzle down on a rag after cleaning, and go shoot.