Old Evinrude 4 hp parts

GetDuck

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
where are you located? here in central Iowa the 3 hp and 4 hp OMC weedless motors are pretty common. as running motors and prts motor. I have a "basket" 4 hp that I would sell that has everything there except the gasket set to put it back together. I jsut haven't had the time to futz with it. maybe when I retire.

widgeon

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
where are you located? here in central Iowa the 3 hp and 4 hp OMC weedless motors are pretty common. as running motors and prts motor. I have a "basket" 4 hp that I would sell that has everything there except the gasket set to put it back together. I jsut haven't had the time to futz with it. maybe when I retire.

I've been retired for a few years and still haven't found time to overhaul my Ducktwin motor. Maybe when I turn 75.

Small Bore Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Does yours fold? I think Evinrude made a yacht twin that folded. Mine does not but always wanted one that did but for no reason. To me it’s sad that we just keep getting bigger and bigger boats & motors. I started out with a 1436 & a 9.9, now I am up to a 1652 and 40 hp and I am still on the small side of boats here. My 1236 & the 4 hp takes me back to simpler days.

Phytoplankton

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I started out with a 1436 & a 9.9, now I am up to a 1652 and 40 hp and I am still on the small side of boats here. My 1236 & the 4 hp takes me back to simpler days.
Amen to that, I started out with my grandfather in 1969 with a 1964 Johnson 5 1/2 hp on a 12 ft. starcraft. The 5.5 finally gave up to ghost in 1974, we got a 9.9, thought I was a king. Still have that motor, and it still runs, then in 89 got a 15 hp, more power!! Today I run a 14 ft with a 25 hp or a 12 ft with a 20 hp. I finally recycled the old starcraft a couple years ago.

widgeon

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Does yours fold? I think Evinrude made a yacht twin that folded. Mine does not but always wanted one that did but for no reason. To me it’s sad that we just keep getting bigger and bigger boats & motors. I started out with a 1436 & a 9.9, now I am up to a 1652 and 40 hp and I am still on the small side of boats here. My 1236 & the 4 hp takes me back to simpler days.

No mine doesn't fold. It runs but gets hot. I think the water jacket is stopped up.

Small Bore Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Anybody have a parts list for this motor and hp rating. Was seen at Reelfoot Lake in display. Makes me tired just looking at it.

Attachments

• 525518C6-5385-4CBE-BA4F-88B1E2E41FF6.jpeg
    525518C6-5385-4CBE-BA4F-88B1E2E41FF6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10

meb

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
https://www.seawaymarine.com/
Check this site for older motor parts. I used it to find parts for fixing early 80s mercury/mariner motors. Was even able to get new all aluminum lower motor housing for an early 80s mariner. Tiller handle attachment was broke off and I was able to fix it for reasonable price. Been a few years though so no telling what prices are these days!

They were super helpful and no issues with any orders. Their tech knew his stuff. I had tried for weeks to get shaft unstuck from motor power head. Destroyed the shaft clamping vise grips to it and hammering on them, etc. Everyone I talked to said that’s not supposed to happen. Finally called this outfit and guy said he’d seen it a time or two. Had brilliant simple solution. I hung motor upside down with rope tied to shaft and pillows under motor. Couple time a day I drizzled lock ease down the shaft and after like 3 days gravity did the job. I was stunned.

Last edited:

Small Bore Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thx some parts are just N/A. I would like to run across a parts motor but it would probably be like mine in some parts.