Decoy Forum Sponsors

Old flambeau goose floaters

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by TDC Rangemaster, Apr 6, 2021.

1. wingsandwater

wingsandwater Senior Refuge Member

I have 14 or so of them. I repainted mine as brant.

2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I've seen flambeau honker decoys like in this thread painted as mallards. It was over 30 years ago but before there were magnums ppl improvised. Where? Southern Illinois.

Fowler267 and rhpierce like this.
  3. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

I always liked the Otter magnum mallards, which were just basically goose decoys...not really durable, though...the foam dented and dinged if you didn't take care of them, similar to Herters. Their cans and bluebills looked great on the water, especially if you bought them unpainted and did a halfway decent job yourself...

Fowler267 likes this.
  4. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

20191031_170930.jpg
    The paint only wears on the high spots on the feather detail. Very easy to touch them up with a sponge brush every 5 or so years.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Looks like my rig sitting in the same model Aquapod I use. :tu I wish I still had the geese. I had 5 dozen goose shells from the same time period.

6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

All of my goose decoys are Flambeau, floats, shells and FB. All of them have held up well in 35 years of use. All of the floaters are like those being discussed except 4 that have the pontoon bottoms and convertible heads. The shells are of 1 piece construction and are stackable. The FBs I think were called The Judge, removable feet & legs and convertible heads. Except for some white touch up on the heads and tails, the paint hasn't needed work.

7. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I have a couple dozen shells too. I know a couple goosey bays where they will get used. Have hunted this huge lake focusing on two locations for decades and finally I got shut out and had to explore. Best thing to ever happen so guys that hunt public don't just go home. Burn up the gas exploring for new spots. You might just stumble into 3000 greenheads like I did.
    :)

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Being forced to look for a new spot is sometimes the best thing that can happen. One area I really like was too crowded one morning so we went scouting and rolled up on a mixed flock of wigeon and pintail That are best described in acres. It's a dangerous place but the shooting can be incredible, standing in the decoys picking up birds with pintails landing 10 feet from you... So far nobody else has ever been dumb enough to try it even when they've heard and seen the results. Thank you to the guys that poached my spot that day.

9. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

I have been using Flambeau shells since the 80's. I been using the feeders like sleepers long before other sleeper shells were available on the market. I went to HR at Flambeau when I worked there in the 90's about making a sleeper head to fit on the shells and HR gave me a real brush off. 2014-01-12 17.13.17.jpg 2014-03-03 22.32.18.jpg 20171111_084124.jpg

Il. MudDuk likes this.
  10. Masked Mallard

Masked Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Yup, mid 1990's with the snap in eyes. I had some that became one eye'd geese. Also, a friend of mine has the same set. The keel on one has split at the body & is now separating.

I opted to buy G&H decoys, because I like the detachable heads. Makes for easier storage & management when you have a dozen plus goose decoys in a small boat.