Old gun in a layout

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by bustsducks, Jan 8, 2020.

1. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

I bought this 1953 model 12 last year. I was looking at used guns at Cabelas and this one was so cheap it had to come home with me. I took it out for a shoot yesterday. Muddy layout blinds and fine old guns are not the best idea I've ever had. I felt bad when I got home wiping it down. Pump guns and layouts are not my best way to go either. I shot like hell. The 30" barrel is a bit long for me and swinging this heavy gun while doing a sit up was a challenge for me lol. I thought of Raven&me when i loaded the #6 bismuth into this grand old gun. It worked okay when I connected but the #4 bismuth did seem to hit harder. I'm going to have to order some more shot and hit the pattern board. I do love these vintage fowling guns. 20200107_163403.jpg

2. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

I have a buddy who's in his 50th year hunting. Has never shot anything other that the same model 12 (1945?) for the entire time. Never fixed or replaced a part on that firearm. And the kicker is that he's been hunting almost entirely salt water all those years. Great gun for sure.

THEIRCOMMITED10 and callinfowl like this.
  3. Bill Kraft

Bill Kraft New Member

I don't see a single thing wrong with that picture. I see a classic shotgun doing exacty what it was designed to do in the enviroment it was designed to operate in. It's a field gun, use it and enjoy it. Take care of it, but use it. My question is , what good is all the craftsmanship if it's hidden in a safe.
    Congratulations on a great buy.

4. mallardhunter

mallardhunter Senior Refuge Member

Congrats on a great buy and apparently, a great hunt. I shot a Model 12 until steel shot was mandated.

5. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I've shot #4 steel through my 1935 M12 Heavy Duck Gun that has a 32'' factory full barrel.
    But I won't shoot anything over 1350 fps through it.
    ( I'm not recommending that you go out and shoot steel through yours.)
    You ain't gonna bulge those barrels with small steel shot, those suckers are built like a Sherman tank. :yes:yes:tu

Here is a good read that gives you the history of the M12 H.D. guns.
    I like how it talks about the drought and how hard it hit the birds in Canada way back when and how it effected the migration into the USA.....pretty f'n sweet.
    https://gundigest.com/more/classic-guns/gundigest-070609-winchester-model-12-duck-gun

THEIRCOMMITED10 and bustsducks like this.
  6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Having to multitask out of a Layout Blind while shooting a pump gun can be a lot easier if ,you position your blind giving your weak side more room .
    With shooting shot with more energy per pellet
    Hey Thanks for the read as I had not laid my eyes on that one !
    With the Heavy Duck 32" and the 3" Mod 12 along with several more in smaller gauges , even the Mod 25 12 has been fun to hunt with .
    Aslong as you shuck these suckers straight back without twisting the forearm slide , they handle real nice . Something else Mod 12 shooters learn
    along with other pump gun shooters is , by turning your Layout Blind so the foot-end is at 2 o'clock , it will give you more room to swing on birds
    going to your right . I will say , 1 1/16 oz of steel 3's will drop a Mallard before it gets to 50 yds , with authority , out of a Mod 12 .

callinfowl and THEIRCOMMITED10 like this.
  7. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Awesome post . I echo the sentiment one member already said , that gun looks right at home in a muddy mess of mallards .

However , I understand wanting to baby such a fine classic . Congrats on your pickup , that model 12 heavy duck is high on my next wish list .

8. Mack270

Mack270 Refuge Member

That’s a gun I’ve always wanted. I have a standard one made in the 1950’s that someone shortened the barrel on and jug choked that was my dad’s and a fun little 16 gauge but the heavy duck has always been one I’ve wanted.
    Now that I’m older and can afford bismuth or tungsten matrix I might have to start looking for one.

Speaking of heavy duck models, anyone ever handled a model 21 heavy duck? Dad bought and used one for several years when I was a teenager. Beautiful, heavy gun that was choked full and full. It shot fist size groups at almost 20 yards on his steel point of impact plate.

9. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

Could you imagine what a HD model 21 would sell for? Way above my pay grade.

Every M12 I see on a rack I check to see if its a HD. I would like to find one with a solid or vent rib.

The upper gun with the vent rib was my Grandpa's M12 it's a 1955. 20181123_121934.jpg

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  10. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I came across a M12 back in the late 70s that had just come back from Simmons with new blue job, vent rib and deluxe wood at a very reasonable price. I shot that gun 'til steel shot was mandated and then put it up. My son and I talk about doing a retro hunt, he has his great granddad's M97, but that's all we've done...talk about it.