Decoy Forum Sponsors

Old Herter's Goose Foamers

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by VTBrat, Jun 28, 2005.

1. VTBrat

VTBrat Refuge Member

Figured I'd go to the pros with this question. I recently acquired one dozen older Herter's foam goose decoys with their original boxes ( they came three to a box). The decoys are styrofoam with plastic heads. They have a flat bottom with the eyebolt that holds the head on inside an opening in the bottom of the decoy that was slightly larger than the eye of the eyebolt. They have an internal weight in the body of the decoy with no keel. There is no model number on the decoys themselves, but the postage on the original box dates back to 1967. I'm going to try to post an image of some of them, but I've not posted a pic before on the Refuge. Here are my questions:

1) Can anybody give me an idea of what model number these decoys are?

2) I originally bought these to hunt over. Upon receipt, based on their exceptional quality given their age and the fact that I have their original boxes, I'm now questioning whether they have some value as an antique. Any thoughts on their value in that category?

I appreciate any thoughts on these. Not looking to make any money on these decoys, but would hate to be thinking I have some Volkswagons and really they are Porches!

Attached Files:

2. WhiteWing

WhiteWing Senior Refuge Member

I don't know anything about the model number of those deeks, nor their value as a collectible, but I do have to agree with you that based on their condition and the fact that you've got the original packaging, you may want to rethink hunting over them.

Nice buy. Wish it had been I who found them. :dv

Fowler267 and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  3. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

But I know one thing for sure.do not hunt them, and keep them in a safe place. :tu

4. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

I used to have some...only one left and that one got burlapped. Model 92???

Even in the box, they aren't antiques per se but somebody might find them collectible...I dunno, there are a ton around.

Herters dekes are to be hunted over, and that is what yours are good for. I still hunt over Herters wood duck decoys but, I leave the all wood Herters goose decoys at home on a shelf.

5. 3.5-inch party

3.5-inch party Senior Refuge Member

Put one a shelf and hunt over the rest!

copperatiosu likes this.
  6. twospots

twospots Elite Refuge Member

92 or 81 is my guess, but you might want to email cabelas and simply ask them... send the pic too... Ptherwise I don't think you'll find out what they are worth...

If they were wood or even plastic, they would be worth something, but I don't know about foamers... Have not seen a colectors value for them...

If they are not worth a bunch, I'd just hunt them till they get scraped up too much them burlap them and flock the hrads, repaint bodies... should be great looking dekes. Herters has the paint kit as well for their goose dekes...

7. dmark

dmark Senior Refuge Member

check the length x width, if they're about 21 X (10 to 11) magnum, they are m-92's. if they are smaller (19 x 8-1/2), they are m-81's.

either way, a shelf or other display may be the way to go with these. :tu

8. Goosehunterdog

Goosehunterdog Elite Refuge Member

I have no idea how old they are but it is neat that you still have the boxes for them.I bought some G&H mallards YEARS ago and still have a couple of dozen in boxes that never have been opened.I bought them to use and used other's and then switched to another brand.

9. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

The head style is more slender than the 92's. Also, feeder, or dippers were available in the 92's. The lines in the neck, vertically, or the feather detail are also giveaways. The 92's are smooth and round.

10. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

They look like 92's to me. I have 18 that I burlapped and repainted after using them for twenty seasons,, I added a keel so they won't flip in heavy swells. I also have eleven that I put big mallard heads on, burlapped and painted as black ducks,, they are huge,, everything decoys to the blacks.