Decoy Forum Sponsors

Old Herter's Goose Foamers

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by VTBrat, Jun 28, 2005.

1. honga

honga Senior Refuge Member

They look like 81s. The 92s had some feathering in the molded body.

dog duck gun likes this.
  2. oldwarden

oldwarden Senior Refuge Member

I'm looking at my 1966 Herter's catalog and looks to me to be Model 81's at $34.00 a dozen. The model 92 is advertised as "the largest plastic goose decoy made" and the were $48.00 a dozen. Shipping on the 81's was $30.50 per dozen and the 92's shipping was 43.00 per dozen. That really ran the costs up.

3. Goosehunterdog

Goosehunterdog Elite Refuge Member

Wow!!! I would love to see a 1966 Herter's Catalog!!!!!!

4. VTBrat

VTBrat Refuge Member

Thanks for everyone's imput. I did ALOT of research on these decoys trying to find out their history. I was really struggling with what to do with them, even with all the good advise. The power of the internet is nothing short of awesome. Believe it or not, I was able to locate the original owner of these decoys. His father gave them to him as a gift when he was 11 years old. He hunted over them for 5 or 6 years. He lost the decoys when he went into the Navy and his mother yard saled them. His father is now deceased and I'm selling the decoy's to him for what I had in them. Just wouldn't seem right to profit from this or for anyone else to own them. These decoys will mean alot to this gentleman. These decoys were Herter's model 81. Thanks again for all the thoughts and ideas. I knew I came to the right place for advice. :tu

5. TScottW99

TScottW99 Senior Refuge Member

:clap Good Job VTBrat!!!! You did an outstanding thing, I know it will mean alot to the originial owner! :tu

6. Flutterin'_Wings

Flutterin'_Wings Elite Refuge Member

I dont think those decoys are worth not hunting over. I would suggest burlapping them, but you may think these will become antuiqes. just take good care of them. The main thing you can do to keep them in decent shape is not throwing them and stacking in the boat. the foam will dent, but it gives the goose depth.

Does the decoy say anything where they were made? Before, they were in Waseca, MN( if i remember right) and then moved. I have some the plastic decoys that have the herters stamp on the bottom with the "waseca, MN" on them. These plastics were bought 20+ years ago by my grandfather and uncle. They were handed down along with about a dozen herter foamers. These foamers did not have the built in keel like they do now. They have been through many seasons and weather, FAR more then what the plastics have seen.

7. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

VTBrat, that shows a lot of integrity! :clap You're a good man!

I have one herters foam goose decoy that I found about 5 years ago. It has a molded rounded keel on the bottom and some feather/wing detail molded into the back. It seems to be solid but probably would need to be burlapped to be hunted. I was keeping just because I keep any old decoys I find..... but if you want it I'll send it to you. I really like what you did for that original decoy owner. Sorry I don't have more but the one is yours if you want it. I'll take a pic and send that to you if you'd like to see the decoy. Anyone else have a single laying around that they will send to this guy if he wants them?

DelFowl18 and Fowler267 like this.
  8. VTBrat

VTBrat Refuge Member

Thanks for the offer guys, but there are more deserving hunters than I for spares. I'll probably just buy some Herter's model 91's and then burlap them as needed. I believe the decoys were made in the original Herter's location given the name on the box. They had no keel at all, but an internal weight that kept them upright. I know the original owner will be glad to have them back. I'm so new to waterfowling that I haven't developed a keepsake yet. I imagine the first block made by me that has a duck killed over it will find its way to my mantel!

9. Duckshot69

Duckshot69 Elite Refuge Member

If you burlap them you can hunt over them for a lifetime. Repairs can be made easily even when shot with a stray pellet. F0F114DE-F416-440E-BC5D-4B81F0DA309C.jpeg A1DFB974-D18B-48E4-8955-5B2174DB6B1D.jpeg 2B1260B4-8AFC-4B8E-BB6A-C3997A51F00E.jpeg 9A40A489-AF14-4FFD-912D-A55C9F320EFA.jpeg

10. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Best thing about these decoys is that they ride high on the water,lot of drawing power with these boys. Hunt the heck out of them. The more you can put overboard...the better the birds like it.

creedsduckman and dog duck gun like this.