Old mount help

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by mpkowal, Jul 14, 2019.

1. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Ok,I have a couple mounts that are 40 plus years old,but nice.I usually use a feather duster but wondered if there is anything to shine them up a little.
    One is a Ringneck Pheasant ,1 is a Wood Duck and the 3rd is an Eurasion Widgeon.All are rare here in Nevada so I would like to keep them nice. Thanks for any input,Mike.

2. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Air compressor.

If they’re full of dirt you can spray them with lacquer thinner then use compressor. Don’t get the thinner on the feet or bill.

3. mpkowal

4. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member

Might want to take it easy on the air compressor thing. Too much air and you are going to get some very mixed up feathers. There could be a number of reasons why they are not "shiny", such as faded/bleached due to sunlight, cigarette smoke/residue, dust, etc...... If its fading, there's not much that can be done about that. If it's "tar" from cigarette smoke, it's going to take a better solvent that lacquer thinner to remove and more than a spray. If it's a major level of dust, it may require a solvent to dissolve it which can be sprayed or applied to a cotton rag and applied by hand in the direction of the feathers. If it's not that bad, sometimes a light caress with your hand in the direction of the feathers will "shine" it from just the oils on your hand after a good feather dusting. Maybe a pic would help.

5. mpkowal

Wow,great advice We are non smokers so I am sure it's just DECADESof dust.Thank You.