Old paper shells

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Old Carver, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

My son is the assistant manager at a guns and ammo place. He gets to see lots of neat stuff. A customer came in yesterday and wanted to sell stuff from an estate. He'd opened an old old VW van and found guns and ammo. They gave him top dollar for the perfectly preserved guns. The ammo was something the store owner did not want. My son got it for $10. He got right at 1000 rounds of old Winchester and Remington 12 ga paper shells. Some slugs, buckshot, #4, #5, #6 and some assorted low base that just say 3-1/4 on the paper tabs.
    The shells are in beautiful shape and stored in old cloth bags. I wish they had the boxes.
    My question is do I hang onto them or can I use them for grouse hunting (lead shot)? Are these safe to use in my O/U? I'm sure paper shells may not feed well in my semi auto but should be great in a break action.
    Should I use them? 20190630_134451.jpg 20190630_135127.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Elite Refuge Member

You might just hang on to them. Store them right. They might just be worth something someday many years from now. Say when your son or grandchildren get older. Some collector may pay decent for some or all of them down the road.

3. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

The question on using them is how were they stored for decades, if they were in a cool, dry, moisture free place most of them would probably fire but you really don't know for sure.
    Me personally I would either keep them as Birdcrazy suggested or put them on one of the gun auction sites, I know you would get a lot more than $10 for them, how much more is the question

4. Old Carver

Not a bad idea. Shipping them from here would cost an arm, leg and and some other parts I don't want to part with. I guess my best bet is run a couple of the low brass through the O/U and see if I get a good bang or a fizzle/squib load. They look like new but your right. I don't know how they were stored. Pardon the pun but... It's a crap shoot on these old shells.

5. Mrs.10GAGENUT

I use older paper hulls in my old SxS guns, get the full effect of nostalgia I guess. I usually shoot them and then reload them with modern components for hunting use, no bloopers that way in the field.

6. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Years ago I found 2 cases of Winchester Ranger's #4's & #5's under a building in the old part of San Francisco. These were to old 20 box wooden cases, I gave one case to my dad for Father's day and kept the other. I've shot a few boxes of them through my SBE with zero bloopers or flizzers and they feed and cycle fine in my gun, so hell yes I would shoot them.
    I did let them sit for a few years inside the house which most likely dried them out if they were damp.

7. Old Carver

Sounds like it's worth trying them. Grouse won't know the difference between old and new. I like the nostalgia idea with a SxS or O/U. Put on my Filson wool coat and off we go. The number of 4's - 6's I was given will last me the rest of my hunting years. I don't think my kids or grandkids appreciate them like I do.

callinfowl likes this.
  8. Mrs.10GAGENUT

You made me laugh, a guy I hunt with said he's going to get me the coat and a pair of knickers to with the gun and shells !!

9. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't, shooting them is the only way to see.
    Friend of mine several years ago bought a case of unopened 7.92x57 Mauser for cheap, we thought great deal till we shot them and every second or third shot was a dud. Who knows where they were stored for years.

10. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Here's some of my 12 gauge efforts with old Super X paper shells reloaded with modern components, 1 1/8 oz lead 1200 fps and low pressure for the old guns. I try different ways of sealing up the old crimps to see what works best.
    SPRXpapr.JPG

mmayes, Fowler267 and creedsduckman like this.