Old reliable gear

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Missy Skeeter, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Missy Skeeter

Missy Skeeter Senior Refuge Member

I also like size 14-15 boot feet for colder weather...
    once the size gets bigger than 12,it seems like choices go way down.

I wear stocking foot neoprene hip boots inside my waders,
    then turn them inside out to dry at camp each night.
    If the hippers are really damp, they go in my sleeping bag overnight.
    That way, even after hunting/camping for 14 days, my feet are dry and warm.

I like stocking foot waders for warm early season duck hunts.
    I camp out for days, and turn those stocking foot inside out each night,
    for dry waders the next morning.

Stocking foot are also more compact for bush plane flights.
    The meat pole photo above, I was wearing stocking feet waders...
    nice to have on a moose hunt where the bull may die in water down low,
    yet compact in a backpack hunting the ridges in leather boots.

2. megasupermagnum

megasupermagnum Senior Refuge Member

No doubt the stockingfoot waders can be comfortable. For me, I only tried less quality ones, but the boot itself is the reason I don't like them. On relatively hard bottom, they are fantastic. In muck, they are horrible. The worst part is on a cold day, trying to get the boots off. Putting those frozen boots back on the next day might be even worse. The waders themselves are fine.

Waders are definitely one area where I like the new stuff. There is a ton of room for improvement yet. I actually liked the old canvas waders if they were big enough, but the slight flexibility of neoprene is nice sometimes, and they can fit much tighter while still being able to move. I never cared about the warmth. I prefer waders that are not insulated, I want them cold. If I want warmth, I layer underneath. That's the worst part about the neoprene waders. You cook inside them until it gets down below 50 degrees. I'm looking at the new breathable material waders, but the choices for a size 15 are extremely slim.

I like Simms waders, but they don't make a boot foot. What I'd love to see is Simms make a made in USA boot foot with that nice breathable fabric. Don't give me the nonsense. No pockets, no insulation, don't even make them camo. Just make them brown, tan, or green. Make them to last 10+ years, and make them with a decent boot with some toe room, and make them in real mens sizes 15-16 at least. I'd pay a lot of money for something like that.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  3. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

In a perfect world we'd have access to a pre-programmed solar powered dogbot that can be ridden like a horse to the blind and we wouldn't need waders.
    Have the dog put out decoys and cook breakfast.
    Dogbot 2.0 has built in duck call tapes

4. megasupermagnum

I always assumed that's why men have kids. I don't see any other reason to have them.

5. megasupermagnum

For whatever reason I decided to call Simms, since I know they do custom. Not only do they still make boot foot, they will make a size 15. Shut up and take my money.

6. Missy Skeeter

Missy Skeeter Senior Refuge Member

Another old reliable...my RCBS RockChucker press for hand loading rifles and pistol...made in 1972.
    Tested out a new load yesterday morning: 200 gr LRX in 300 H & H magnum. Good start.
    I'm old school in terms of 1980s 3X9 Leupold scope...sight in for 3 inches high at 100 yards.
    LRX_200gr.JPG

WaterFoulHunter likes this.
  7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

My wife has her back packing stuff from the 70's . We just tossed out her pack, gave away her Thermarest in July. ( which just got back from Boundary waters in MN.
    I keep telling her to sell her SVEA stoves .
    I replaced the lines on her tent
    We still have the Adam and Eve sleeping bag that was a wedding gift,,.. but thats worn out and should go

upload_2021-8-20_20-12-7.jpeg

8. megasupermagnum

Bad news today. I hadn't heard back from Simm's, so I called them. It turns out the salesman was mistaken, they do not offer a 14eee or 15 boot. Man this sucks. I was willing do drop $900 on essentially waterproof pants, and nobody will do it. I guess it's back to special ordered Chinese garbage from bigcamo, that's built for guys as wide as they are tall, only to be trashed in 2 seasons.