Old reloads?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by PaulinKansas, Dec 29, 2020.

1. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

I've got about 100 old reloaded steel shells from about 8-10 years ago that I'll probably never shoot. I'm shooting TSS x steel duplex loads now. I know the pellets can be salvaged, but what about the STEEL powder? That powder is 8-10 years old and from a different batch than I'm currently using. I have 12 pounds of STEEL powder which is relatively new and from the same batch. What would you do with the old components?

2. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

Declare war upon that bag in your tree. 100 reloads should bring her down and please post pics.

Squaller and Ratdaddy like this.
  3. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

If you hunt water use them for wounded birds better than breaking them open to salvage the components.

4. baltz526

baltz526 Elite Refuge Member

Shoot them. Gives you a good excuse to hunt more.

5. Jim Atlas

Jim Atlas Senior Refuge Member

If the powder is good to shoot, why wouldn't it be good to reload again? Assuming you keep your ammo in a half way decent manner, it should be safe.
    If you won't use them, find a friend.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  6. illinideer

illinideer Refuge Member

I would use them I got reloaded shells from my late uncles stash that are older than than that I still use for small game. Best guess loaded in the mid 80's

7. grnhd

grnhd Elite Refuge Member

The powder will be fine if that's the route you decide to go. I'd rather take a beating than salvage powder out of shells....

8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

If you know what's in them for shot size , why not lead-off with them with your first shot , thinking it would be as close as the birds get !
    I still have about 4 lbs of Lot # 6 and 9 that I'll be loading , they kill ducks just as good as they ever did....!

9. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

I wouldn’t re-reload that powder. It will not meter the same after having been compressed under the wad.

if the speed is similar to what you are now shooting, sounds like a good skeet load for preseason practice.

10. baltz526

baltz526 Elite Refuge Member

Not when you weigh every charge. Like most do with Steel powder. Or run it through a powder measure. I have been recycling Steel and other powders for a long time. Dump it in with the current jug and shake it up or just add it to the powder measure. As long as you are positive what the powder is.