Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Old Squaw Duck Hunt on Lake Michigan

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 5, 2019.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

Never been on an old squaw hunt or a sea duck hunt. Definitely on my short list. I realize this is a lake, but from a desert marsh hunters perspective, it may as well be the Atlantic Ocean!

This looks like a fun hunt. Anyone here hunt this lake? How do these birds taste? Any videos or pictures of your hunts to post?

Huskermut, widgeon and Squaller like this.
  2. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Might as well be an ocean. Lake Michigan is a rough nasty bitch in the fall. The days that you can actually get out there and hunt Squaw are limited due to the weather. Squaw are dumb, fun to shoot and taste like hell. Pretty birds though.

3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

This was a hunt last year on Lake Huron. What a wet, cold and nasty hunt this was. 7B22B5A1-7C28-4D08-8113-C14EF829C2FF.jpeg 07BB03A9-2469-4B30-9F24-4F32F0ABDE92.jpeg A0F0D1BB-2D35-42E5-9106-F3BCA4F8891A.jpeg

Fowler267 and PorkChop like this.
  4. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

6CDEB571-E811-4741-9310-37D6CF3EB3C1.jpeg Chesapeake bay. Sea ducks in general are easy to kill but they have their place. Usually a fun hunt in lawn chairs out the back of a big white boat lol.

JRS likes this.
  5. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Yes.

First I find a bunch of birds. Usually they like 60 to 110 feet of water but I've shot them from shore and also in eight feet of water. I get in between two flocks and drag six decoys on one (100') long line behind my 16' lund. I've shot them when they have landed in the six decoys. No blind on the boat. I have shot them while in 110' of water and six foot waves while it was snowing so hard I could not see shore. I shot them on dead calm days in fog where the visibility is only 300 feet. I could hear thousands but it took awhile to get a few as I only saw them fly by for a second.

The second time I hunted old squaw, I had 250 land amongst my six decoys. I just watched them. Some actually swam under the boat. I was in awe. The dog gave me that look of what the.....!

They are not the smartest duck but are very hard to hit. They taste better than Lake Michigan scooter. Which is not saying much.

dvegas, MJ and widgeon like this.
  6. JDO

JDO Refuge Member

I haven't gotten any sea ducks, but As far as eating them, I would use Hank Shaw's coot risotto recipe: cut the meat into small cubes and throw them into the risotto at the end for a few minutes. The sage gives the dish a nice earthy flavor. I've used this recipe with snipe, diving ducks and it always comes out quite palatable, especially with a robust red wine.

widgeon likes this.
  7. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

It's a fun hunt...try for the late split...but make sure conditions are safe. Have a backup plan.

They taste like hot garbage...but we found mixed with pork butt and ample seasoning they make pretty decent summer sausages

widgeon likes this.
  8. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Global Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    0107191018d.jpg

We kill a ton on Lake Ontario. Three man limit(We can only shoot 4 a piece) Grind them up and make breadstick. Funny that they were allowed 6 each, here they are a Seaduck and only 4 allowed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    widgeon likes this.
  9. CBretriever

CBretriever Refuge Member

97CDFFA7-E675-436B-9F52-77CC3DB752F9.jpeg 336E7AA9-4372-4FF6-A4FB-421193E9F09C.jpeg Go every once and a while
    It’s fun
    Hard to find guys to go
    Sucks it’s such a rough bitch all the time so you pretty much have to make the decision last minute

10. JDO

JDO Refuge Member

Those are pretty ducks . . . they're on my list, even if they don't taste good, I'd like to hunt them just once . . .