old sxs

westuffem

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
SXS
i havent forgotten about the bottle you have for me, just dont give it away. Its getting more aged every day ,just like me and you.
Have fun tomorrow.
RDS

mittens

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Serious?? If so, good to have you back old man. And I would have to agree on Dickle over Beam any day. The new economy buster red lable ain't bad but it's hard to beat the White lable.

white label is soooooo smooth. best made imo. anybody like something different. that's ok but it's not for me. we need to share a wrist bendin sometime.

duckman38201

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have found that SXS's recipe is quite nice to the taste. The longer it ages the better it gets. After about 6 months it gets too good to believe!! I tend to make 3 quarts at a time and it works out very well. Of course mittens might be on to something but I'll hang with the SB most of the time!!!!

MACDUCK

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
It is the inquiring minds thing. Why would you put all of those ingredients with a perfectly good bottle of Jim Beam? I thought that Jim Beam tasted mighty fine just out of the bottle. I'm sure it is good. To each his own!!

Greybeard

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
....sat on my Dad's dresser for many, many years.
It has a Frederick Remington picture on the front ("The Trapper") and a label
on the back that tells some of the story about Remington's love of the western scenes.
I think my older Brother bought that bottle for Dad on his birthday in 1979 as Pop was partial to "that Beam Whiskey" as he called it.

I think I'll make me a batch of "The Squires Best" (SB) on the first day of Jan. and pour it into that bottle for aging......just as a tribute to the "Quail Shootinest Man" I ever had the pleasure of learning from (my Dad).:tu

duckman38201

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Strain it when your're finished. Shake it from time to time --- :tu

SXS, I got one problem.......I ain't figured out how to let it age for a year yet!!! I did let one jar sit for 6 months and it was mighty fine indeed!! Much better than fresh. It's interesting that it was earlier referred to as meade. Imagine that here in Celtic country!!!:tu Them 'ol riverboat captains surely had a touch of the Scotch and/or Irish in 'em they did!! Just as most of the natives to this area do.

duckman38201

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
....sat on my Dad's dresser for many, many years.
It has a Frederick Remington picture on the front ("The Trapper") and a label
on the back that tells some of the story about Remington's love of the western scenes.
I think my older Brother bought that bottle for Dad on his birthday in 1979 as Pop was partial to "that Beam Whiskey" as he called it.

I think I'll make me a batch of "The Squires Best" (SB) on the first day of Jan. and pour it into that bottle for aging......just as a tribute to the "Quail Shootinest Man" I ever had the pleasure of learning from (my Dad).:tu

Dan'l, as much as I understand the tribute factor which I believe to be an honourable one I would check out the value of that unopened bottle before doing such. Likely you will make it anyway and I probably would too.

Greybeard

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I never knew my Dad to leave ANY whiskey bottle with an unbroken seal.;)
According to the label it's 90 proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. The bottle has a unique shape, color and looks almost like it is made of Pewter.

Think I'll poke around here on the Net and see if the bottle has any collectors value to it.:tu

duckman38201

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I never knew my Dad to leave ANY whiskey bottle with an unbroken seal.;)
According to the label it's 90 proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. The bottle has a unique shape, color and looks almost like it is made of Pewter.

Think I'll poke around here on the Net and see if the bottle has any collectors value to it.:tu

My bad, now I see where you did say it was empty!!!!