California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Old Time Hunting Photos cleaning out drawers due to Coronavirus boredom

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by CalBaer, Mar 14, 2020.

1. CalBaer

CalBaer Elite Refuge Member

0FF733B7-B514-440E-A9B1-0811CEB46DC9.jpeg Llano Seco 1993 opening day. I recall I had to drive out to Wild Sports opening morning to get my hunting license. I was living in Sunnyvale and figured I wasn’t going to be able to hunt much that year. I had already missed the Tule opener due to work obligations. We refilled Llano and I got this woodie. The pic says it was my first. My brothers Ford Probe in the background.

2. CalBaer

637B14E6-2961-46D4-AB15-40532B920C0A.jpeg Llano Seco 1993 opening day. I recall I had to drive out to Wild Sports opening morning to get my hunting license. I was living in Sunnyvale and figured I wasn’t going to be able to hunt much that year. I had already missed the Tule opener due to work obligations. We refilled Llano and I got this woodie. The pic says it was my first. My brothers Ford Probe in the background.

3. Quackerpacker

Quackerpacker Senior Refuge Member

Us too! No check station, ran it out of Gray Lodge and no refills!

WaterFoulHunter likes this.
  4. WILDDUX

WILDDUX Elite Refuge Member

Exactly! We hunted it almost every shoot day for the first 2-3 years it was open. Then it became harder and harder to get on. Loved getting our pass from the Lodge, rolling up there and only being 10-15 guys on the whole place!

5. pbd

pbd Senior Refuge Member

Took a while to get back to the house but here is one from the 1968 dove opener, I turned 10 the month before. I think I wore that wacky hat for the next 6-7 seasons. I believe that was my first year shooting the 870 my folks purchased for us kids.

dove.jpg

DuckFan, boodog, Sweatliner and 3 others like this.
  6. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Senior Refuge Member

‘68 was my first year hunting, too. I was out there the year before, but just to shag birds for dad and grandad. Grandad and I used to go after school at least 15-20 days every September. The season was all month long in those days.

7. CalBaer

Junior hunt about 7 years ago. I forgot Jack got a blue goose. Looking back, guess I should have mounted it. My younger boy (Cole on left) shot his first snow geese that day. I recall Jack was pretty good on the mouth calling with singles and doubles circling around working the spread and honing-in on his sound. Birds were a little heavy for Cole to hold up which is always a good sign. Miss those days.

34C3E888-3DC1-4A5A-9A22-DEA52521D906.jpeg

8. ducxecutioner

ducxecutioner Senior Refuge Member

9. ducxecutioner

ducxecutioner Senior Refuge Member

10. CalBaer

Thinking good thoughts for this guy today as Father's Day is approaching. Jack on one of his last junior hunts. He must have been 15 as that was the age limit before it was increased. (He complained that he missed the age increase by a season but he had plenty of junior opportunities and he has been good at taking other junior hunters out.) It was a warm, clear, calm day in Free Roam. Not much of a bird flight after the first 30 minutes. This can happen in the late season hunts when the birds aren't pressured. Not much cool weather, a warm high pressure pattern, and a large moon. The birds were decoy shy, call shy and set on going into the edges of the ponds or other ponds where no one was around. The kid got most of the birds by being stealth. A skill that should help him as he is currently in SERE School right now. A few birds by jump shooting, a few birds by just sitting in the tule's with no decoys and calling softly. I recall the speck was in a small group. We had no decoys but they wanted to go into the pond as we moved into it after watching a few sets work it. So he waited until a group flew into range as calling can only do so much without decoys and before the birds realize the gig is up without friends on the pond. He claimed an all-drake limit but we never sexed the speck so I told him it didn't count!!! Besides Jack being so young looking and small in stature at the time, what stands out to me is that Cal has no evidence of white hair!!! Oh, to be young again!!! 20140201_120646-2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020