Old video from the past…. Kecks Marsh

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by ARHHH4, Sep 13, 2021.

1. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

That's something I forgot to mention...full bodies. I grew up hunting so. IL. over tires and sillouettes for geese. I distinctly remember the first G & H shells I saw. I thought, JHC, those geese don't stand a chance.

ARHHH4 and DuckyPhe like this.
  2. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Elite Refuge Member

I played a ton of golf at Fred’s growing up as a kid. He had a six hole course at his house. Would always tell us to go into the pole shed and grab a golf cart when we wanted to play. Just fill it back up with gas or plug it back in when we were done if it was electric. I remember standing in awe as I looked up into his loft at the amount of Bigfoot’s that he had stored up there. He had a semi load of the originals delivered one day

3. duckdown1

duckdown1 Elite Refuge Member

Goose hunt looks like Laz's slough.

I saw Fred's mom the other day. She says he is still hanging in there.

4. duckdown1

duckdown1 Elite Refuge Member

Fred was tight with those Bigfoot boys. He got some of the first Snow and Blue bigfeet ever made. I hunted over them a few times during CO season when it first started.

ARHHH4 likes this.
  5. wildfowl4444

wildfowl4444 Elite Refuge Member

AND LEAD SHOT

ARHHH4 and riverrat47 like this.
  6. 8UP4 FOWL

8UP4 FOWL Senior Refuge Member

How much of the decline in the Carlyle Lake area do you think is from Fred no longer managing the Marsh versus a change in the overall duck migration patterns? Or is it a combination of both?

7. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

My guess it's a combination of lots of things...Fred, migration changes, aging of all three COE lakes (Shelbyville, Carlyle and Rend), increase in pressure, milder winters, just to name a few.
    Regarding the pressure, I first started hunting the walk-in in the early `70s. At that time, thru the early `80s, it was not unusual to be the only vehicle in the parking lot on a weekday. Max would be 2-3 more. Yes, weekends saw the lot packed, but weekdays saw very little use, making the walk-in area almost a refuge. I haven't hunted there since the early `80s, but friends (or maybe I should say acquaintances as I have so few friends) tell me that the walk-in is heavily hunted every day of the week.
    I only hunted the lake via boat a couple of times in the `70s, so I can't comment on pressure by boat hunters on the lake.

8. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Elite Refuge Member

I think it’s a combination of a lot of things. First of all, the weather. We don’t get near as cold of winters as what we did fifteen or twenty years ago so I feel like a lot of birds, Canada’s especially, typically stay more to our north. I also believe our flyway has shifted further west, into parts of Missouri and Kansas. My area used to have a crap ton of snow geese every year, through about the middle of March. We don’t get near the numbers of those even that we used to fifteen years ago. And, guys like Tony Vandemore, have put themselves on the map during that time. (He’s a few hours northwest of me). I know guys who hunt the club now, which is under different ownership, and from what I hear, they’ve got a ton of flat water with no crops in it. I dunno if it comes from a financial issue, where they can’t plant as much as what Fred did, or if it’s a time thing or what. But in my mind, don’t flood hundreds or into the thousands of acres for the birds unless there’s a food source there or that’s gonna be your rest area. I think Freddy did a heckuva job with managing his club whether it be crop rotation, water levels and flooding certain fields at certain times, managing hunting pressure, he seemed to have it figured out; and the area as a whole, benefited from it. We held so many birds then throughout the season as compared to now. I think his health deteriorating and the divorce just came at the same time in our eyes and we wanna place the blame on those two things. I’ve read articles from the Maryland eastern shore guys over the years that say they don’t have near the numbers of Canada’s that they used to either. I think everything comes back to weather if I had to pick one factor.

9. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

Changes in management have killed duck hunting in many areas. I started this nonsense in '71 in Indiana. DNR properties then were managed by guys that had been hunters and farmers growing up. They understood how to manage and utilize what they had to work with and birds responded. Saw the same thing when I lived in western KY in the early 90s and hunted Ballard. Moved back to SW IN for 7 years and while the local FWA had potential the manager was a young guy promoted out of the state parks division that was not a wildlife manager and did not want any input from people that had chased ducks for years. IL has strangled its DNR employees by cutting staff and funding. Retaining or hiring managers with the ability to actually manage for ducks cannot be easy. MO on the other hand has spent a lot of money to enhance their waterfowl areas and along with changing weather patterns have shifted the migration farther west. Having Kecks managed the way it was had to have helped Carlyle but I'm not sure going back to the same practices would improve things greatly today.

ARHHH4 likes this.
  10. 8UP4 FOWL

8UP4 FOWL Senior Refuge Member

It sure does seem like the Canada Geese already changed their migration habits and now the ducks are changing theirs. Makes it tough on waterfowl hunters unless you want to do a lot of traveling. Thanks a lot for posting that video ARHHH4, it was really cool to watch. Wish I would have been able to see that area first hand when it was in its prime.

ARHHH4 likes this.