Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Older and Maybe a Little Wiser

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Fowlballer, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Fowlballer

Fowlballer Elite Refuge Member

I made a comeback to hunting after a few year layoff. Being 50 years old I still have 30 years of hunting under my belt. I learned a few things this year. For starters my feet are freezing so I invested in electric socks, brilliant idea! I learned Mojo flappers belong in the trash, cheap production and complete waste of time so back to the jerk string. I found out how much I enjoy unloading my gun and cracking a beer and just calling ducks watching the sky with old friends. Here's to many more years getting old and maybe a little wiser.

Share something that made you a little wiser while we all get a little older.

Bclick, Out of focus, widgeon and 5 others like this.
  2. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

I bought a decoy sled last week. It arrived Saturday. I can carry all my gear, march seat, and other stuff and not have a backpack. Used it yesterday and today.

widgeon and Fowlballer like this.
  3. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

Glad you're back. Ive learned its not about limits, its the experiences that make it worth while.

newduk, cacklercrazy and salthunter like this.
  4. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member

Well...I have a little over 50 years of hunting under my belt...and my feet are pretty much numb. My knees are just about shot too. The last 10 years, I have been dragging my two oldest grandsons along for the hunts every chance I get and trying to teach them a little something about duck hunting. Yesterday I took them to a local refuge, but I hadn't bothered to get a lottery number the night before, so I knew we wouldn't get on before noon. I slept in and we showed up about 9:30 at the check-in station. The gal at the window said it would be a long wait unless I wanted to go as a non-shooter and take the two youngsters in now. I told her I would leave my shotgun in the truck and in we went. I put my waders and jacket on. They loaded all the decoys, back packs, lunches, etc. into the cart and off we went. They threw out the decoys, set up the jerk string, did the calling, shot the ducks....and I watched and drank coffee while laying down in the weeds on my back with my head propped up on the pad of my marsh stool. When they were done, they loaded everything back up and hauled it to the truck. They came back today and washed all the decoys and equipment, cleaned their shotguns, cleaned the ducks, and washed my truck. Life is good. Duck hunting is getting easier...I think I will bring more coffee and a softer pillow next time.

5. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

over 50 years here too.
    None of this sleeping in the boat the night before, a noon opener.
    Find no reason to drive hours to kill one more duck or goose.
    Having a good time is more important than my kills
    I like to be comfortable, no reason to freeze or be wet.

Some people just arent worth hunting with

tripper, ARHHH4, riverrat47 and 3 others like this.
  6. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

You got that right!
    And at 51 the list of people in my life that I'm willing to hunt with is VERY small....

bullpinnie, Fowlballer and salthunter like this.
  7. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes Elite Refuge Member

I’m 31, and have this season realized the very real benefits in going with a select few people. Went on a hunt yesterday that was ruined by a Jackwagon

Fowlballer likes this.
  8. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Senior Refuge Member

My wife loads the truck, gets up an hour early to make breakfast burritos for the blind, sets up the blind while I set the decoys, and never complains. I’ve learned that I married a good woman.

9. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

Yes, you have!

Out of focus likes this.
  10. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

99% of the time if duck hunting at the club, floating a tub out with all the gear and usually one for a tub of cover. Have a XXXXL sled for putting out the goose spread. Turn 58 this year so 49 years of hunting.

Fowlballer and widgeon like this.