On road diesel for tractors...problem?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Trophyduck, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

I saw in a different post that on-road diesel in your tractor can be bad. Not enough sulfur to kill the bacteria in the tank? What's up with that? It is the first I ever heard of that. What should I do to prevent the issue if that is the case?
    Thanks

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Use off-road diesel.

Edit: ULS-Diesel has 50 PPM sulfur. Off-raod has 5000 PPM sulfur.

3. ukcpeak

ukcpeak Senior Refuge Member

All the diesel refined in the US since 2006 is ultra low sulfur and contains 15ppm. Prior to that it contained 500ppm sulfur.

The only difference between onroad and off road diesel is that off road diesel gets a red dye mixed in to let the DOT know it was sold as tax free and not allowed for use in on road vehicles. Not sure if the red dye protects against algae or not, but its not the sulfur content.

4. stevena198301

I had my PPMs wrong. Apologies. But the lack of sulfur since going to ULSD is a problem.
    https://www.bellperformance.com/bell-performs-blog/recognizing-diesel-fuel-algae

There's a mountain of evidence and information that tells us what contributes to diesel fuel algae contaminating a tank. Loss of sulfur in the fuel (so there's nothing to keep it from growing) makes any free water in the tank a breeding ground for this fuel "algae". But how do you know if you've got a diesel fuel algae problem? Consider these warning signs that may point to a problem.

5. ukcpeak

ukcpeak Senior Refuge Member

You're right that uls diesel caused the algae problem. My point is the refineries only produce uls. The problem is not unique to on road fuel. There is no difference in sulfur content. Only taxes collected and red dye. Could be that off road fuel distributors are adding algae treatment knowing that some bulk tanks dont get turned over as much and most keep a little water in the bottom.

6. stevena198301

That, I’d agree with.

My neighbor is a logger. He’s the one who told me to go back to off-road fuel.

I’d also like to make note, your tractor likely won’t get much water in it from the pump. My fuel (on-road) went into a 70 gallon tank. It had a leak I wasn’t aware of, and I accidentally put some water in my tractor tank when I filled and parked it. It sat over winter. By the time the water light came on, that stuff was already coming out with it. The entire fuel system has to be purged. They make chemicals to clean it, but you have to get the gunk out. Fun times.

7. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member

The red dye does nothing either way except to designate the fuel for off-road use only.

Various brands of diesel biocides have been around for decades long before the reduction in the content of sulfur.

8. Happy First Timer

Happy First Timer Elite Refuge Member

Buy an algaecide from napa. Been there, done that. That slimy algae stopping up fuel filters is no fun. I think a quart of it treats either 50 or 100 gallons.