Decoy Forum Sponsors

On the Bench in 2021

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by sdkidaho, Jan 4, 2021.

1. SWAMPLVR

SWAMPLVR Elite Refuge Member

My rig needs more gadwall for sure. Green wings, gadwall, mallets and pintail are the birds I shoot the most of. When I do trades those are the birds I ask about trading.

reddogge and creedsduckman like this.
  2. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

A black duck for a young hunting and fishing friend of mine. Hollow cedar and oils. It will be hunted this year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

Game Fair in Ramsey MN started today. It was good to be back. Our carving club is doing live carving demonstrations again this year.

These were my birds for today.

A Woodduck that will eventually be donated to Becoming and Outdoors Woman for silent auction was my morning bird.
    B543EEA7-DFDE-425B-82B3-45B3072C0997.jpeg

In the afternoon I did a little Ringneck.

7BF72021-C849-430D-AAA3-286D24D6ECC8.jpeg

I am there for all 6-days of the fair so with any luck or effort I will get a dozen birds done. Depends on if I stick with the cork bodies or if I try to do a wood body. Will see how the crowds are I guess.

reddogge and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  4. Neighbor Guy

6B3BF504-A3A5-49D7-9B4C-F3A3FCD2165C.jpeg
    only one bird completely roughed out today. Big crowd, lots of stoping to talk with people with lots of questions. It was a great time.

We also had our club decoy contest today that took some time. My daughter won the Novice devision. Second time for her so she gets to move up a class next year. That was cool.

Unfortunately for me I was one place out of the money this year for the open class. But I got some good critique from our judges and got some hints from a world champion on how to improve, so it’s all good. Considering who the top three were I wasn’t going to be upset about 4th.

More carving tomorrow. Stay tuned.

SWAMPLVR and reddogge like this.
  5. Neighbor Guy

I can tell people are happy to be out of the house and back amongst people again. They are also anxious to be ready for fall.

In previous years I try to set a goal of 1-Wood bird or 2-cork birds roughed out or “game fair carved” per day. Some people just want to watch you carve. Others have lots of questions. Seems like this year it’s more of the questions. So I’m a bird short of the weekend goals.But I’m not complaining. Lots of conversations had and connections made.

woodduck, ringneck, ruddy, goldeneye, and a scaup for the weekend.
    6E3E1666-9DD8-4929-8CB4-564EAF1CF096.jpeg

reddogge, creedsduckman and goodluck like this.
  6. reddogge

Hats off to you. I don't think I could do that without all of my "stuff" like my antique woodworkers vice, drill press, etc.

7. Neighbor Guy

I hear ya. It’s an adventure for sure. I bring the stump vise, a stand up vice and stand, carving tools, project birds, and display/sale birds.

We usually also have at least one person in the tent working with a foredom or similar rotary tools.

It exposes this side of the sport to a lot of people. I don’t ever really sell much if anything, but it’s not about the sales at this show. It’s about the presentation and demonstration.

I am amazed at how many people didn’t realize this is who all decoys were made before plastics. Most also don’t realize that someone hand carved the original for all their plastics to be molded from.

13183826-604C-4F9B-9E28-5EE65E1F1F12.jpeg
    Here are the two from today, ringneck and a bufflehead, also started a bluebill head. Very slow day people wise so I was able to stick with a project for a while. Those that came bye just wanted to watch the carving and didn’t ask many questions.

reddogge likes this.
  8. reddogge

Four more peeps as gift birds. Two are going to Hawaii with me next month. I believe they are found in Hawaii too.

[​IMG]

9. Neighbor Guy

5541ACE7-3E21-4134-AA6A-9EA2EA3FC5FE.jpeg
    Well there we go. Game Fair 2021 is in the books. Roughed out 11-birds total.

The Woodduck is promised to a charity in January of 2022.

The others will all be finished as working decoys. 2-buffleheads, 2-Goldeneyes, 4-Ringneck, 1-Bluebill, and 1-Ruddy Duck.

10. Rjm6254

Rjm6254 Elite Refuge Member

On the paint bench for aug is shoveler hen .
    Bobm IMG_20210830_163314.jpg