One lucky green head!

Discussion in 'Oregon Flyway Forum' started by CuppedWings, Dec 2, 2005.

1. CuppedWings

CuppedWings New Member

While pheasant hunting in Pendleton, I was walking a ditch for roosters and up pops a gorgeous drake mallard. The ditch was about 10 feet deep in the middle of a field and he was climbing straight up to clear it so was going verrrryyy slow. Light was at my back, the bid was lit up perfectly, about a 15-20yd shot, Gun up, safety off, Aim....

CLICK

I thought it was a missfire and tried to clear the action for another shell, but fumbled it. Watched him fly away. Open the action to discover an empty gun!!!! Had forgot to load the shells after removing the gun from the truck. I chuckled and thought that I had just pheasant hunted for 45 minutes with an empty gun. Glad a rooster didn't come up.

Loaded the gun, walked another 200 ft, and popped up about 10 mallards from the same ditch. Unfortunatley, it was right at the end of the property I had permission to hunt and they were heading straight for the neighbors house. Some very lucky ducks!!!!

Dropped three mallards out of the ditch the day before which was better than I did in Umatilla on Wed (1 mallard). Blue bird day at Umatilla and hardly saw any ducks. A couple of blinds were banging away though and I think they did well. I was also proud of my 8 month old puppy for grabbing a wild Pheasant before it had the chance to flush! (glad it was a rooster! :)

Happy Hunting...

Scott

2. Hellbender

Hellbender Elite Refuge Member

What size steel shot are you using on pheasants?

3. Pit Boss

Pit Boss Oregon Moderator

Joe, if your gouing to hunt roosters on this side you need to use steel #2. Thats all I pack.

Rick

4. Cootisduck

Cootisduck Elite Refuge Member

Yup, what Pit says. :tu Tough birds! :z I went as far as to use some old BB goose loads that I wanted to burn up. Poofed em', dropped a leg, they still got away.:cry

5. CuppedWings

CuppedWings New Member

6. BrotherWolf

BrotherWolf Elite Refuge Member

CuppedWings
    unloaded gun:eek: Ummm but that happend to me last weekend.. A mallard drake was making a b line right at us kinda only 20 feet off the deck and about 15 feet to the side so I stood up and walked right in front of him and he still wasnt flaring or changing course or anything so Im thinking easy pickings...so I raised the gun and nothing so I looked at the safety and sure it was off ....raised it again and nothing ...then looked at it again and the reciever was wide open and empty... I guess I forgot to load up after the last duck I smaked :cry