Opening day western zone

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by mazenblue, Oct 19, 2019.

1. mazenblue

mazenblue Refuge Member

How did everyone make out this morning? Saw alot of birds, then didn't want to commit but managed to get a few. I dislike sunny, cloudless, windless days lol.

2. TheCanMan

TheCanMan Senior Refuge Member

I shot one black duck, one mallard and two woodies. Wind picked up later in the day, but was pretty windless to start. Birds were funny, had a lot commit, shot everything over the deeks, but others that wouldn’t even give me a look.

3. grousefeathers

grousefeathers Senior Refuge Member

C36F77E4-E85F-4DE6-BF1E-3ECEC675C50B.jpeg D57B5E5C-85A6-40BB-9ABD-4F8472686A0A.jpeg Decided to duck hunt instead of bow hunting this am. Shot 5 by 7:30, called it quits and went bow hunting. Too nice of a day to waste doing yard work

4. TheCanMan

Nicely done! With the reduced mallard limit it was good to see black ducks and woodies in the mix. We had green wing and blue wing teal in the air too, but never got a good opportunity, they are fast!

E380CCCB-EB19-4E84-B827-A9EEA6B6B8EA.jpeg

Curt Gibson likes this.
  5. mazenblue

mazenblue Refuge Member

Well done fellas, this is my first year duck and goose hunting in NY and so far it's amazing. I'd never seen a black duck or blue wing teal till yesterday morning. I can hardly wait for the goose opener next weekend. I hope everyone has an epic season and stays safe.

TheCanMan likes this.
  6. TheCanMan

E
    Excellent!! We have some good birds. You may run into a hybrid mallard/black duck, not uncommon. With the one hen mallard limit this year that could be an interesting conversation with a game warden. I took a photo with both the hen mallard and the black duck I shot this weekend because they are tough to distinguish in the air, and interesting to note the differences once you have them in hand. The hybrid will have a single white band along the speculum

CB35C5E9-2BC4-4FD1-83F0-2C543FC361F7.jpeg

Curt Gibson likes this.
  7. grousefeathers

I had a conversation with two co’s and two biologists about hybrid black ducks. I walked into the field office with a green head black duck with white bars on the speculum and asked how that was that identified? One co said black duck the other said mallard, which is what I would have thought. After getting legal on the phone and discussing this, the conclusion was you count it in your bag to whichever of the ducks you wanted. Meaning if you had your limit of mallards it is a black duck, and if you If you had a hybrid and a black duck and another black duck came in you could shoot the black duck and the hybrid is now a mallard

TheCanMan likes this.
  8. mazenblue

mazenblue Refuge Member

I can almost picture how that conversation would go. Are the numbers that low around here? Saw a fair number of mallards flying around, they wanted nothing to do with my decoys of course.

9. grousefeathers

But an edging of white I wouldn’t count as a hybrid, a green head or distinctive white bars like a mallard yes

TheCanMan likes this.
  10. grousefeathers

Most co’s are pretty good, I have dealt with a lot of them. Most are hunters and are like all the rest of us.