Orange hats...

WoodieSC

North/South Carolina Flyway Forum
Reaction score
Is that hat straw? Does look good.

olepal
olepal,

Are you not interested in those wool, felt 'crushable' hats? I'm waiting to hear back from the #2 link about availability of size L or XL at, hopefully, their low price.

Or are you just wanting a straw hat you can paint or one of those vinyl covers like I linked?

olepal

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
olepal,

Are you not interested in those wool, felt 'crushable' hats? I'm waiting to hear back from the #2 link about availability of size L or XL at, hopefully, their low price.

Or are you just wanting a straw hat you can paint or one of those vinyl covers like I linked?

No decision made yet. I was just curious about the one in the pic. I can't tell if it is felt or straw. I suspect I will be more into the wool one as they tend to be more comfortable on my abnormal head. :yes

olepal

olepal

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just a thing I have, or maybe it is a Texas thing, but, a hat is a hat. A cap is not. Yet you go online anywhere and caps are called hats. :rolleyes:

olepal

WoodieSC

Reaction score
No decision made yet. I was just curious about the one in the pic. I can't tell if it is felt or straw. I suspect I will be more into the wool one as they tend to be more comfortable on my abnormal head. :yes

olepal
I'm afraid to ask about your "abnormal head"... :no

If I hear back from this #2 place, Scott's Bait and Tackle, what size would you wear... L or XL? These would be the felt 'crushable' Broner brand hat.

The price at Kittery Trading Post would be about $60 shipped, or so. The other place would be about 1/2 that, but that might just be their clearance price on the size Smalls they've got left. If they offer me a low price on a Large I'll grab one for myself and let you know what they say.

I don't want to spend $60 on another orange hat, but it appears the Broner 'crushable' ones are no longer made and is the only 'crushable wool felt' one I could locate, so I might have to bite the bullet to add to my collection of 'hats' and 'caps'.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that AZ's hat is a straw one from the looks of it... along with it being warm weather. ;)

Just a thing I have, or maybe it is a Texas thing, but, a hat is a hat. A cap is not. Yet you go online anywhere and caps are called hats. :rolleyes:

olepal
LOL... I hear ya'! :tu

olepal

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have never been able to get any hat that is somewhat stiff to fit properly. Nothing weird, just the flat forehead or something.
I am pretty sure I would wear a large. I have a Bailey rain resistant hat of the same style that fits great.

olepal

AZ Draht

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
My hat is a Bailey and the material is shantung which i guess still qualifies as straw. For the paint, I used the hivis paint from home depot.

That pic was from a few years ago and the hat has held up fairly well. The paint has faded a bit, so it could use another coat. I don't know if the paint softened the material, but it has lost its shape. Probably from improperly storing it for a long period of time. I have not wore it for nearly two years.

WoodieSC

Reaction score
olepal, you can measure your head and then check this chart to see what size might fit you best...

http://www.menshats.com/choose_size

AZ, good question about the paint softening the 'straw/shantung', et al. I would guess an oil-based paint would do it, but have no idea about something like a latex acrylic.

WoodieSC

Reaction score

GUNNERX2

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I had purchased a wool felt hat that I really liked but didn't fit just exactly right. Took it to a hat maker and had him steam it to shape. I don't exactly remember, but I think he didn't charge me anything.

WoodieSC

Reaction score
I had purchased a wool felt hat that I really liked but didn't fit just exactly right. Took it to a hat maker and had him steam it to shape. I don't exactly remember, but I think he didn't charge me anything.

I've done the same thing with a portable steamer I've got on my Stetson and another Broner hat I've got. Unfortunately, my ol' favorite Broner hat got bush hogged a number of winters ago... as did my favorite straw hat! :doh :l