OT/Ammo Hevi Metal Fan

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by mpkowal, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Wow, ....that puts the density of the of the tungsten in the old HM at 9.3-9.4 More proof the old hevi-metal with 1 size smaller tungsten alloy wasn't any better than cheap steel.

They should just bring back the original hevi-steel and sell it for the $35 per 25 it is worth.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. baltz526

baltz526 Elite Refuge Member

If you can not kill birds with good steel loads. You probable need shooting lessons.

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Definitely are when you shoot the stuff I do. Figure an average the last few years of 2.5 flats per season at about $8 per box, and my savings pay my gas for 15+ hunts.

4. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

There are several factors. Wind drift, kinetic energy, etc. Different types of materials at different densities will always perform differently.

I agree at 30 or less yards in little to no wind, they are a fine shell.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Who judged you? In what way were you judged?

The fact you like a certain shell, and most of the others disagreed with you is not judging you. This isn't you first day on this forum. You know what the opinion is by most on EM products.

You have posted many times you like HM shells. NOBODY has said they are bad shells, myself included. I have said they are 'as good as' any other given shell. They just cost more.

And I pay about $95 a case when I buy my Remington steel in 20ga. You are still paying significantly more for no return. I kill my geese and mallards with 3's and 4's.

Then how do you justify needing 'premium' shells. Not that it matters, its' your money, and nobody is telling you how to spend your money. We are telling you how we choose to spend OUR money. I also rarely fire at birds beyond 35 yards. Plain old steel kills em fine.

6. Bigshot75

Bigshot75 Elite Refuge Member

Doesn’t make for a good “Hero Shot” with the cheap ammo tho Native:tu

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

My 'Hero Shots' are my dog and the birds.
    NCM_0041.JPG

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    JP and bustsducks like this.
  8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

There are 2 spots along the river where birds hit the water about 10 yds in front of me and 12/14 ft below , if I was to body shoot these birds it would blow
    them up so there are times I'll flush them and shoot'em in the head as they get eye level but mostly I'll just pick out 2 drakes as they lock up and kill them
    at 25 to 30 yds . The excitement of calling and watching them grind until they commit is 90.123456 percent of the fun ! With a fast locktime of my guns , the
    shots take no time at all ! Most of the remainder of fun is watching my dog as she steadies , waiting for the command to fetch !

9. Bigshot75

Bigshot75 Elite Refuge Member

Think how nice that picture would be with a few empty shells and an open box laying on that pile, throw in a barrel sticker for effect :doh:no

JP likes this.
  10. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

I liked hevi-metal...specifically the shells that had nearly 20% more pellets than the equivalent steel load. Unfortunately, with their mixed sizes of tungsten slag, you never knew what you were going to have for pellet count. I had 1 1/4 oz #2 HM shells that had as little as 4 more pellets than a standard 1 1/4 oz load of steel #2. But then some shells I cut open would have 20-25 more pellets.

With so many companies offering 20 or 25 round boxes of bismuth for not much more in price than premium steel loads, or with Hevi-X running on clearance from time to time, I see zero reason to purchase hevi-metal anymore. the only boxes of it I have left are from when Fleet Farm ran the "buy two hevi-x get one hevimetal free" promotion this winter.

Drake91 likes this.