OT/Ammo Hevi Metal Fan

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by mpkowal, Aug 1, 2020.

1. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

I don't think they make Hevi-Metal anymore.

It is now Hevi-Metal Longer Range with "some" Bismuth shot in it.

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Advertisements says 30% bismuth.

It's funny how they call it longer range when physics say it's going to be the same or worse. If I'm not mistaken the original HM had 40% tungsten alloy over 60% steel. If that is correct it means there would be even fewer "longer range" bismuth pellets in the the pattern, making it even less suitable for longer ranges because of so few pellets.

3. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

PhYsIcS wHeRe i hUnT mUsT bE dIfFeReNt!
    mocking-spongebob-1556133078.jpg

4. Billy Bob

When people come back with that comment I take it to mean that they think because a shell cost more and the marketing has fooled them so they see results that really aren't there. HM 3's kill em dead at 4o yards blah blah, no crippless blah blah....steel 3's do the same thing. It hits harder because blah blah, no it doesn't the pellet are matched. Need I go on?

IMO it's a mind screw. Many of us tried the original HM in the field and noticed literally no difference.

5. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

There's a sucker born every minute, and EMI makes some of best sucker chum out there.

JP likes this.
  6. Billy Bob

Exactly!

7. derbyacresbob

The original Hevi-Metal had Tungsten alloy shot in them that was not as dense as Bismuth. EMI said the Tungsten alloy shot in the original Hevi-Metal was smaller and matched the steel shot size ballistics wise.

Now EMI is saying that the Bismuth shot is denser than the old Tungsten alloy Hevi-Metal shot and that the Bismuth shot is one size smaller than the steel shot.

The reason I wrote there is "some" Bismuth shot in Hevi-Metal Longer Range shells is, you don't know how much weight the Bismuth shot is or know what size it is unless you open up a shell and weigh and measure the Bismuth shot that is in the new Hevi-Metal Longer Range shells.

Hopefully EMI can make Bismuth more round and consistent in size than their 12g/cc Hevi-Shot and all of their other less dense Tungsten alloy shot types are.

8. Billy Bob

I think you may have missed my point. I was implying that with bismuth only 1 size smaller and only 30% of the load that the bismuth part of the pattern would be so thin by the time the added energy of the bismuth is relevant there wouldn't be enough pellets to do anything but cripple. The difference in density From the numbers EMI gives is .2-.3. Not enough to make any noticable difference.

9. derbyacresbob

This is what EMI is saying now about Hevi-Metal Longer Range.
    Our new bismuth pellets are 16% denser than old HEVI-Shot® HEAVIER THAN STEEL® alloy, which allow us to pack smaller pellets that have greater killing power than traditional or even “super steel” pellets. And, while the performance has increased dramatically, the price has not. HEVI-Metal® Longer Range is priced similarly to HEVI-Metal®.

I don't understand the
    which allow us to pack smaller pellets that have greater killing power than traditional or even “super steel” pellets.

By going to Bismuth shot instead of the less dense HEVI-Shot® HEAVIER THAN STEEL® alloy there will be more room in the shell for shot. But they are not putting more total weight of shot in the shells. EMI says they are packing pellets into the load. Packing sounds like more total pellets but it isn't. They could have gone two sizes smaller with the Bismuth shot and got some more pellets and it would have been a closer match ballistics wise to the steel shot in Hevi-Metal Longer Range shells.

The pellet counts per ounce of Steel #3 shot and Bismuth #4 shot are almost identical. #3 steel has about 152.13 pellets per ounce and #4 Bismuth has about 154.56 pellets per ounce.

One size smaller Bismuth shot doesn't give you hardly any more pellets than one size bigger steel pellets of the same weight.

EMI saying the
    smaller pellets that have greater killing power than traditional or even “super steel” pellets, this is true. But there are not enough of those denser pellets to give you a reliable longer range pattern.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Billy Bob likes this.
  10. Billy Bob

Seems we are on the same page but using different words.