OT but I've never seen this before!

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by Ben Elli, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Ben Elli

Ben Elli Elite Refuge Member

I was at the dump in Layton to drop off some yard trash and I saw at least a dozen Morning Doves, no they weren't Eurasians, they were sitting on a fence line 20 feet from me. At first I thought Euros but they weren't brown and they had pointed tails. I've never seen them around here this late in the year. Maybe they think if the Euros can do it so can we.:tu

2. goose jerky

goose jerky Elite Refuge Member

While pheasant hunting over in cache valley on Thursday scared up around 30+ of them. I think your right them thinking they can be like the Euros.

3. mudderfodder

mudderfodder Senior Refuge Member

I live in Sandy and there are always about twenty or so that stick around all winter. I think they spend the coldest nights tucked in some very tall and thick pine trees, but they are always near a particular empty lot when the sun is out. I'm happy about it because when the apocalypse comes and we need to live off the land, I know I will enjoy at least one dove dinner.

4. rjefre

rjefre Elite Refuge Member

Apocalypse food...I like your style!
    R

5. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I was hunting in two feet of snow a week ago Saturday . I spooked 6 or 7 morning doves from under a sage brush at about 6900 foot elevation. I was maybe less than 20 feet away they landed in a bushy looking quakie.
    Later that day I saw 3 more sitting on a fence on a service road along the interstate near Monita Mt

Iv actully saw quite a few of them archer elk hunting