OT cable tv alternatives

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Nocalhonker, Sep 15, 2019.

1. twall

twall Senior Refuge Member

TCM is the only thing my wife andf I miss once we got rid of cable. We went with ROKU sticks. We have Netflix but will let that expire. You can get TCM through Hulu but we don't want to pay for it. We do rent/buy some shows through GooglePlay. We also watch less TV.

Tom

widgeon and callinfowl like this.
  2. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

When I'm in a slump hunting or fishing, I turn on the hunting and fishing shows to remind me that I don't have it that bad.

3. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

I do. Ditched Directv over the summer and went with youtube tv. It has almost every channel I want and unlimited dvr storage which is great with little kids. It's great when I travel because I can download a football game I've recorded and watch it on my ipad on the flight. I can also watch from my pc. I'll have a football game on one monitor and can work via the other monitors.

I also have netflix, prime, hbo, and subscribed for this month to sling and flo tv just to watch certain football games. All that is still less than I was paying directv and it so much easier to sign up/cancel these services than directv.

waterrat and callinfowl like this.
  4. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

I had HugesNet at the farm for years, upgraded to GEN4 when that came out. My (ex) wife worked from home performing web-based data processing for her employer, the only time we had any issue was during severe storms. Otherwise it was awesome.

5. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Senior Refuge Member

Roku or smart tv and get the free carbon tv streaming app tons of hunting shows for free ... always a year or two behind though

6. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for all the recommendations, I currently have a Roku and do have several hunting show channels they just lack in some areas. I am looking at You tube TV it seems to have a good number of channels I watch.

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Interesting, we have decent internet for about the first week of each month. According to the provider the area gets a limited amount of high speed and it's used up rather quickly. After that it slows way down.

8. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

Bill, now that I think about it we had the “middle package”, higher up-down speeds (I don’t recall what they were) so the ex could do her deal from home. That probably made a difference

9. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Digital antenna will get us 1 channel...PBS.

Only internet available is through our phones. When the kids get older will probably get the 100 gigs from us cellular for their school work. Slim pickens out here in the sticks.

10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

We have the top package they offer. It's bad enough my son had to stop going during the school year because they had homework which had to be done and sent in from their iPad every weekend. The poor service made it impossible most of the time. To top it off, we have no cell service, and that's the case with every network, so a mobile hotspot is useless.